Jan 1, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
Before the start of the Winter Classic tonight at Heinz Field, three huge figures in Pittsburgh sports history were there to kick things off with the ceremonial puck drop.
Current Penguins owner and three-time Stanley Cup winner (twice as a player) Mario Lemieux highlighted the bill of Steel City legends. Former Steelers Super Bowl champions Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris joined Lemieux at center ice to drop the puck with team captains Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. I don’t think you’ll find a more star-studded array at center ice unless it’s the All-Star Game.
Check out our exclusive video of how tonight’s hockey spectacle got started.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)