Jan 1, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
Before the start of the Winter Classic tonight at Heinz Field, three huge figures in Pittsburgh sports history were there to kick things off with the ceremonial puck drop.
Current Penguins owner and three-time Stanley Cup winner (twice as a player) Mario Lemieux highlighted the bill of Steel City legends. Former Steelers Super Bowl champions Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris joined Lemieux at center ice to drop the puck with team captains Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. I don’t think you’ll find a more star-studded array at center ice unless it’s the All-Star Game.
Check out our exclusive video of how tonight’s hockey spectacle got started.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 3
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 31
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)