Jan 1, 2011, 9:40 PM EST
Before the start of the Winter Classic tonight at Heinz Field, three huge figures in Pittsburgh sports history were there to kick things off with the ceremonial puck drop.
Current Penguins owner and three-time Stanley Cup winner (twice as a player) Mario Lemieux highlighted the bill of Steel City legends. Former Steelers Super Bowl champions Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris joined Lemieux at center ice to drop the puck with team captains Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. I don’t think you’ll find a more star-studded array at center ice unless it’s the All-Star Game.
Check out our exclusive video of how tonight’s hockey spectacle got started.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 5
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 17
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29