Jan 1, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
Before the start of the Winter Classic tonight at Heinz Field, three huge figures in Pittsburgh sports history were there to kick things off with the ceremonial puck drop.
Current Penguins owner and three-time Stanley Cup winner (twice as a player) Mario Lemieux highlighted the bill of Steel City legends. Former Steelers Super Bowl champions Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris joined Lemieux at center ice to drop the puck with team captains Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. I don’t think you’ll find a more star-studded array at center ice unless it’s the All-Star Game.
Check out our exclusive video of how tonight’s hockey spectacle got started.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)