Jan 1, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
Before the start of the Winter Classic tonight at Heinz Field, three huge figures in Pittsburgh sports history were there to kick things off with the ceremonial puck drop.
Current Penguins owner and three-time Stanley Cup winner (twice as a player) Mario Lemieux highlighted the bill of Steel City legends. Former Steelers Super Bowl champions Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris joined Lemieux at center ice to drop the puck with team captains Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. I don’t think you’ll find a more star-studded array at center ice unless it’s the All-Star Game.
Check out our exclusive video of how tonight’s hockey spectacle got started.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)