Jan 1, 2011, 9:48 AM EST
A battle between West powers involving the Stars once again turns against Dallas one more time. This time around it was penalties that did in the Stars as the Canucks scored three power play goals and chased Kari Lehtonen from the game in the second period. Kevin Bieksa and the Sedin twins each had a goal and an assist. Cory Schneider was outstanding for Vancouver stopping 44 shots.
NY Islanders 4 – Detroit 3 (F/OT)
Funny what a little confidence will do. The Isles have won five of their last six games and have beaten Pittsburgh and Detroit consecutively. P.A. Parenteau’s overtime goal lifted the Isles to the surprising victory. John Tavares lead the way for New York with a goal and two assists while Dwayne Roloson stopped 38 shots to help secure the win. Red Wings rookie Tomas Tatar scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game while Johan Franzen scored his 17th goal. Jimmy Howard was less-than stellar stopping just 19 shots.
Johan Hedberg stopped 28 shots in leading the Devils past his former team and helping get the Devils out of a six game slide. Ilya Kovalchuk, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Mark Fayne all had goals for New Jersey. Meanwhile, Dustin Byfuglien scored his 15th goal of the year for Atlanta as he continues his huge season.
Montreal 3 – Florida 2 (F/OT)
What’s a good way to become an instant legend in Montreal? Score two goals including the game-winner in overtime. James Wisniewski did just that for the Habs in getting Montreal past the Panthers. Wisniewski was acquired from the Islanders in a recent trade and his offensive skills are already paying dividends. Wisniewski also assisted on Brian Gionta’s goal in the second period. Alex Auld stopped 20 shots in getting a rare start. Tomas Vokoun was the hard luck loser saving 45 shots.
Think the Flyers are missing Chris Pronger? They certainly are on this road trip as the Flyers get dropped by the Ducks. Lubomir Visnovsky and Jason Blake each scored twice and helped make sure that Ryan Getzlaf‘s absence wouldn’t be felt. The lack of defense hung Sergei Bobrovsky out to dry as he made just 22 saves in the loss. In their last four games (three of which were losses) the Flyers have given up a total of 20 goals. That’s not getting it done and the Flyers need to find answers as Pittsburgh has pulled ahead of them in the Atlantic Division and the Rangers are nipping at their heels.
Leave it to the Wild to play slump busters. Nashville broke their five game losing streak taking out Minnesota thanks to 22 saves by Pekka Rinne and goals from four different players, two of which were empty netters. All right, so sometimes box scores can be misleading. Still, a punchless effort from Minnesota is becoming a bit too regular for their liking.
Columbus 4 – Ottawa 3 (F/OT)
The Jackets are on a three-game win streak thanks to Jakub Voracek. Voracek’s overtime goal vaulted Columbus over Ottawa. Steve Mason was rock solid stopping 35 shots.
Alex Steen had a goal and an assist as the Blues held on to beat Phoenix. The Blues had a 4-0 with 17 minutes left in the game after Steen’s unassisted goal but the Coyotes stormed back to get within a goal but couldn’t punch another one in to tie it up. Jaroslav Halak stopped 30 shots to secure the win for St. Louis. Shane Doan had two goals for the Coyotes.
It was a night to celebrate grinders for Calgary. Tom Kostopolous and Tim Jackman each had a goal and an assist to lead the Flames past Colorado. Jarome Iginla also added a goal for the Flames who have now won three in a row. Miikka Kiprusoff had an unusually quiet night in goal stopping 19 shots. Daniel Winnik and Tomas Fleischmann scored third period goals for Colorado but weren’t able to get the equalizer late. Colorado has lost four of their last five games.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)