Jan 1, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
With the NHL bringing the Winter Classic to Heinz Field, most of the signs that the Pittsburgh Steelers play here are gone. One tradition that did carry over from the NFL, however, is the time honored tradition of preparing for a game in the parking lot: Tailgating.
With fans loading into the parking lots around Heinz Field as early as 2:30 this afternoon, the grills, frosty beverages, and parking lot games were out in full effect during the gloomy overcast and rainy afternoon. As you could expect, Capitals fans were outnumbered but not out-spirited. Heck they even got along with Pens fans. Having beers will make anyone friendly.The NHL even got into the act having The Food Network’s Duff Goldman of “Ace Of Cakes” there to cook up gourmet sliders for fans. I can only hope he got to make some of his other great stuff as well.
To give you an idea of what it was like this afternoon, we got some photos for you to gaze upon. It’s a shame you can’t smell these photos because the smell of grilled burgers, hot dogs, and anything else was intoxicating.
One large group of Penguins fans came prepared with umbrellas and tents. Not to mention the traditional tailgating must-have: A set of gigantic flags.
In making this look like something out of Wild Kingdom, here we see a pack of courageous Caps fans braving not just the elements but also the hometown fans.
Some fans took the time out to play some hockey of their own. For the record, the kid made the save.
Other fans have different ideas of what playing hockey involves. Chances are sky high that these guys didn’t go inside Heinz Field sober.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)