Jan 1, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
With the NHL bringing the Winter Classic to Heinz Field, most of the signs that the Pittsburgh Steelers play here are gone. One tradition that did carry over from the NFL, however, is the time honored tradition of preparing for a game in the parking lot: Tailgating.
With fans loading into the parking lots around Heinz Field as early as 2:30 this afternoon, the grills, frosty beverages, and parking lot games were out in full effect during the gloomy overcast and rainy afternoon. As you could expect, Capitals fans were outnumbered but not out-spirited. Heck they even got along with Pens fans. Having beers will make anyone friendly.The NHL even got into the act having The Food Network’s Duff Goldman of “Ace Of Cakes” there to cook up gourmet sliders for fans. I can only hope he got to make some of his other great stuff as well.
To give you an idea of what it was like this afternoon, we got some photos for you to gaze upon. It’s a shame you can’t smell these photos because the smell of grilled burgers, hot dogs, and anything else was intoxicating.
One large group of Penguins fans came prepared with umbrellas and tents. Not to mention the traditional tailgating must-have: A set of gigantic flags.
In making this look like something out of Wild Kingdom, here we see a pack of courageous Caps fans braving not just the elements but also the hometown fans.
Some fans took the time out to play some hockey of their own. For the record, the kid made the save.
Other fans have different ideas of what playing hockey involves. Chances are sky high that these guys didn’t go inside Heinz Field sober.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)