Jan 1, 2011, 7:19 PM EST
With the NHL bringing the Winter Classic to Heinz Field, most of the signs that the Pittsburgh Steelers play here are gone. One tradition that did carry over from the NFL, however, is the time honored tradition of preparing for a game in the parking lot: Tailgating.
With fans loading into the parking lots around Heinz Field as early as 2:30 this afternoon, the grills, frosty beverages, and parking lot games were out in full effect during the gloomy overcast and rainy afternoon. As you could expect, Capitals fans were outnumbered but not out-spirited. Heck they even got along with Pens fans. Having beers will make anyone friendly.The NHL even got into the act having The Food Network’s Duff Goldman of “Ace Of Cakes” there to cook up gourmet sliders for fans. I can only hope he got to make some of his other great stuff as well.
To give you an idea of what it was like this afternoon, we got some photos for you to gaze upon. It’s a shame you can’t smell these photos because the smell of grilled burgers, hot dogs, and anything else was intoxicating.
One large group of Penguins fans came prepared with umbrellas and tents. Not to mention the traditional tailgating must-have: A set of gigantic flags.
In making this look like something out of Wild Kingdom, here we see a pack of courageous Caps fans braving not just the elements but also the hometown fans.
Some fans took the time out to play some hockey of their own. For the record, the kid made the save.
Other fans have different ideas of what playing hockey involves. Chances are sky high that these guys didn’t go inside Heinz Field sober.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 3
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (172)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)