Jan 1, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
On Thursday night, we discussed a thoroughly bizarre wedding that took place during the first intermission of the Boston Bruins-Atlanta Thrashers game. Apparently love is in the air – and on the ice – this week, because another Zamboni-smoothed romance was sealed this weekend.
At least this time around, it seemed charming and didn’t involve a huge bird mascot.
Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green will remember the 2011 Winter Classic for more than just a hockey event, as he helped a longtime friend get onto the ice at Heinz Field to make a marriage proposal. The defenseman is known for being a catalyst on the ice for the Capitals’ high-scoring offense, but this time he helped set up a moment that Calgary native Jeff Leachman and Lindsay Gorkof will never forget.
Luckily for everyone involved, Gorkof said yes when Leachman proposed.
“My buddy has been a Pittsburgh Penguins fan for a long, long time – since he was like eight or nine years old,” Green said. “He told me was coming to the game so I arranged for him to be part of the family skate. He said he wanted to ask his girl to marry him so I said why not do it on the ice?”
And so Calgary native Jeff Leachman had the opportunity to ask his girlfriend, Lindsay Gorkof, to marry him on the ice the day before the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. Much to Green’s relief, Ms. Gorkof said yes, and everyone was able to celebrate.
“Yeah, she did. I told him that if I get all this set up then she better say yes,” Green said. “It was a pretty cool day, and that was a great way to finish it We had everyone gather around for a photo and then he asked. It was a pretty special moment.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)