Jan 1, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
On Thursday night, we discussed a thoroughly bizarre wedding that took place during the first intermission of the Boston Bruins-Atlanta Thrashers game. Apparently love is in the air – and on the ice – this week, because another Zamboni-smoothed romance was sealed this weekend.
At least this time around, it seemed charming and didn’t involve a huge bird mascot.
Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green will remember the 2011 Winter Classic for more than just a hockey event, as he helped a longtime friend get onto the ice at Heinz Field to make a marriage proposal. The defenseman is known for being a catalyst on the ice for the Capitals’ high-scoring offense, but this time he helped set up a moment that Calgary native Jeff Leachman and Lindsay Gorkof will never forget.
Luckily for everyone involved, Gorkof said yes when Leachman proposed.
“My buddy has been a Pittsburgh Penguins fan for a long, long time – since he was like eight or nine years old,” Green said. “He told me was coming to the game so I arranged for him to be part of the family skate. He said he wanted to ask his girl to marry him so I said why not do it on the ice?”
And so Calgary native Jeff Leachman had the opportunity to ask his girlfriend, Lindsay Gorkof, to marry him on the ice the day before the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. Much to Green’s relief, Ms. Gorkof said yes, and everyone was able to celebrate.
“Yeah, she did. I told him that if I get all this set up then she better say yes,” Green said. “It was a pretty cool day, and that was a great way to finish it We had everyone gather around for a photo and then he asked. It was a pretty special moment.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)