Jan 1, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
On Thursday night, we discussed a thoroughly bizarre wedding that took place during the first intermission of the Boston Bruins-Atlanta Thrashers game. Apparently love is in the air – and on the ice – this week, because another Zamboni-smoothed romance was sealed this weekend.
At least this time around, it seemed charming and didn’t involve a huge bird mascot.
Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green will remember the 2011 Winter Classic for more than just a hockey event, as he helped a longtime friend get onto the ice at Heinz Field to make a marriage proposal. The defenseman is known for being a catalyst on the ice for the Capitals’ high-scoring offense, but this time he helped set up a moment that Calgary native Jeff Leachman and Lindsay Gorkof will never forget.
Luckily for everyone involved, Gorkof said yes when Leachman proposed.
“My buddy has been a Pittsburgh Penguins fan for a long, long time – since he was like eight or nine years old,” Green said. “He told me was coming to the game so I arranged for him to be part of the family skate. He said he wanted to ask his girl to marry him so I said why not do it on the ice?”
And so Calgary native Jeff Leachman had the opportunity to ask his girlfriend, Lindsay Gorkof, to marry him on the ice the day before the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. Much to Green’s relief, Ms. Gorkof said yes, and everyone was able to celebrate.
“Yeah, she did. I told him that if I get all this set up then she better say yes,” Green said. “It was a pretty cool day, and that was a great way to finish it We had everyone gather around for a photo and then he asked. It was a pretty special moment.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)