Jan 1, 2011, 11:38 AM EDT
As if you needed a little more juice for tonight’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh. Penguins center Jordan Staal will make his season debut tonight. Staal said he was playing after the Pens morning skate at CONSOL Energy Center and the Pens were a bit excited to make the declaration on their website.
Discussion picked up about Staal playing and Pens coach Dan Bylsma tried to nip discussion in the bud after yesterday’s practice at Heinz Field. Staal has been out all season thanks to injuries to his foot and his hand. The hand injury is what has kept him out of late.
We can’t expect Staal to play a ton of minutes tonight, but we figure we’ll see him play with Evgeni Malkin a bit. Bylsma’s original plan this year was to have Staal center a line with Malkin on his wing. Staal coming back to the Pens lineup makes a dangerous team that much more formidable to play against.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5