Jan 1, 2011, 11:38 AM EDT
As if you needed a little more juice for tonight’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh. Penguins center Jordan Staal will make his season debut tonight. Staal said he was playing after the Pens morning skate at CONSOL Energy Center and the Pens were a bit excited to make the declaration on their website.
Discussion picked up about Staal playing and Pens coach Dan Bylsma tried to nip discussion in the bud after yesterday’s practice at Heinz Field. Staal has been out all season thanks to injuries to his foot and his hand. The hand injury is what has kept him out of late.
We can’t expect Staal to play a ton of minutes tonight, but we figure we’ll see him play with Evgeni Malkin a bit. Bylsma’s original plan this year was to have Staal center a line with Malkin on his wing. Staal coming back to the Pens lineup makes a dangerous team that much more formidable to play against.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 2
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 37
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)