Jan 1, 2011, 11:38 AM EST
As if you needed a little more juice for tonight’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh. Penguins center Jordan Staal will make his season debut tonight. Staal said he was playing after the Pens morning skate at CONSOL Energy Center and the Pens were a bit excited to make the declaration on their website.
Discussion picked up about Staal playing and Pens coach Dan Bylsma tried to nip discussion in the bud after yesterday’s practice at Heinz Field. Staal has been out all season thanks to injuries to his foot and his hand. The hand injury is what has kept him out of late.
We can’t expect Staal to play a ton of minutes tonight, but we figure we’ll see him play with Evgeni Malkin a bit. Bylsma’s original plan this year was to have Staal center a line with Malkin on his wing. Staal coming back to the Pens lineup makes a dangerous team that much more formidable to play against.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)