Jan 1, 2011, 11:38 AM EDT
As if you needed a little more juice for tonight’s Winter Classic in Pittsburgh. Penguins center Jordan Staal will make his season debut tonight. Staal said he was playing after the Pens morning skate at CONSOL Energy Center and the Pens were a bit excited to make the declaration on their website.
Discussion picked up about Staal playing and Pens coach Dan Bylsma tried to nip discussion in the bud after yesterday’s practice at Heinz Field. Staal has been out all season thanks to injuries to his foot and his hand. The hand injury is what has kept him out of late.
We can’t expect Staal to play a ton of minutes tonight, but we figure we’ll see him play with Evgeni Malkin a bit. Bylsma’s original plan this year was to have Staal center a line with Malkin on his wing. Staal coming back to the Pens lineup makes a dangerous team that much more formidable to play against.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)