Jan 1, 2011, 11:07 PM EDT
So although Evgeni Malkin began the scoring with a nice semi-breakaway tally, the 2011 outdoor game belonged in many ways to the grunt workers instead of marquee players as the Washington Capitals beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in a competitive 3-1 match. Eric Fehr scored two goals in two very different ways, taking advantage of a Marc-Andre Fleury gaffe to score an ugly game winner but then clinching the game with a beautiful breakaway score. Mike Knuble – the oldest player on the ice for either team – tied the game by scoring in the courageous and gritty (but ugly) style that earned him 14 seasons in the NHL (and counting).
It was a rugged and entertaining game even when rain made it a bit tougher for the two offensively gifted clubs to display their traditional attacking styles. Semyon Varlamov showed why Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau tabbed him to start the game by stopping 32 out of 33 pucks while Fleury was strong for most of the game (making 29 out of 32 saves) aside from that mishap.
For a time, it seemed like the game might be marred by controversy after David Steckel nailed Crosby with a hard hit late in the second period. Yet Crosby played through the third period, indicating (though not guaranteeing) that he won’t face many ill effects.
Instead, Crosby and the Penguins just need to deal with the side effects of losing to Ovechkin and the Capitals. Judging from their dejected reactions, it looks like that hurt quite a bit, though.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Don Sweeney. Busy man.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Six goals in 57 games last season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
More Boston news.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
The latest in an ongoing saga.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “
Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $2.9 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
They both finished in the top 10 in minutes in 2014-15.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut during the 2013-14 campaign before his career was derailed.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
He played with four different NHL teams last season.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
It’s not all about the Zac Rinaldo trade, although that certainly didn’t help.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
He establish himself with the team after years of work primarily in the AHL.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
San Jose still has an opening on its blueline.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
He’ll start the season as Vancouver’s backup goaltender.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
They are now set to become unrestricted free agents.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly earn $1 million next season.
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 0
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 8
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 2
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 22
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)