Jan 1, 2011, 10:13 PM EDT
Business picked up in a few ways in the second period. The Penguins got on the board early thanks to an Evgeni Malkin breakaway goal that beat Semyon Varlamov on the five hole. The crowd at Heinz Field went wild in celebration as the Penguins Russian star kicked off the offense.
The Caps wouldn’t be held off the board for long as Mike Knuble put home a loose puck in the crease that Marc-Andre Fleury couldn’t get a handle of just four minutes later.
If that sounds like trouble for Fleury, he wouldn’t learn from his mistake as he got caught scrambling once again. This time Eric Fehr took advantage of Fleury’s inability to control the puck and scored at 14:45 of the second to put the Caps ahead 2-1.
The period ended with a flurry of controversy for Pittsburgh, however. What was believed to be a tying goal by Sidney Crosby was waived off because Mike Rupp made incidental contact with Semyon Varlamov. Referees made the call immediately to waive it off sending the crowd into a chorus of boos.
They’d get a chance to boo more as the period came to an end when David Steckel caught Crosby with his head turned, crushing the Penguins captain and putting him down on the ice. Crosby was slow to get up but left the ice on his own power. Consider the stage set for an possibly explosive third period.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)