Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Could it be that defensemen are envious of goalies getting all the glory during highlight shows when they make big saves?
Maybe not, but there have coincidentally been a lot of blueliners showing up in our save of the night videos lately. Marek Zidlicky made a clever (and legal) use of his hands in the defensive zone a few weeks ago while Stephane Robidas saved the day for Andrew Raycroft in Dallas on Tuesday.
Perhaps Duncan Keith realized that he wouldn’t get in many video packages unless he scored goals like he did in that NHL ’11 commercial and decide to take things into his own hands (and feet). Marty Turco is a great puck handling goalie – some would say one of the best ever – but the downside is that his aggressive puck moving abilities can occasionally lead to bad turnovers. Turco gave up the puck to Benn Ferriero who had an open net to shoot on, but Keith made a head’s up play to keep it from happening. The San Jose Sharks ultimately beat the Chicago Blackhawks, but Keith provided a great effort to keep it scoreless in the early going.
Check out video of Keith bailing out Turco in the video below.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 24
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 48
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 80
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires