Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Could it be that defensemen are envious of goalies getting all the glory during highlight shows when they make big saves?
Maybe not, but there have coincidentally been a lot of blueliners showing up in our save of the night videos lately. Marek Zidlicky made a clever (and legal) use of his hands in the defensive zone a few weeks ago while Stephane Robidas saved the day for Andrew Raycroft in Dallas on Tuesday.
Perhaps Duncan Keith realized that he wouldn’t get in many video packages unless he scored goals like he did in that NHL ’11 commercial and decide to take things into his own hands (and feet). Marty Turco is a great puck handling goalie – some would say one of the best ever – but the downside is that his aggressive puck moving abilities can occasionally lead to bad turnovers. Turco gave up the puck to Benn Ferriero who had an open net to shoot on, but Keith made a head’s up play to keep it from happening. The San Jose Sharks ultimately beat the Chicago Blackhawks, but Keith provided a great effort to keep it scoreless in the early going.
Check out video of Keith bailing out Turco in the video below.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)