Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Could it be that defensemen are envious of goalies getting all the glory during highlight shows when they make big saves?
Maybe not, but there have coincidentally been a lot of blueliners showing up in our save of the night videos lately. Marek Zidlicky made a clever (and legal) use of his hands in the defensive zone a few weeks ago while Stephane Robidas saved the day for Andrew Raycroft in Dallas on Tuesday.
Perhaps Duncan Keith realized that he wouldn’t get in many video packages unless he scored goals like he did in that NHL ’11 commercial and decide to take things into his own hands (and feet). Marty Turco is a great puck handling goalie – some would say one of the best ever – but the downside is that his aggressive puck moving abilities can occasionally lead to bad turnovers. Turco gave up the puck to Benn Ferriero who had an open net to shoot on, but Keith made a head’s up play to keep it from happening. The San Jose Sharks ultimately beat the Chicago Blackhawks, but Keith provided a great effort to keep it scoreless in the early going.
Check out video of Keith bailing out Turco in the video below.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 3
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 39
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1