Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Could it be that defensemen are envious of goalies getting all the glory during highlight shows when they make big saves?
Maybe not, but there have coincidentally been a lot of blueliners showing up in our save of the night videos lately. Marek Zidlicky made a clever (and legal) use of his hands in the defensive zone a few weeks ago while Stephane Robidas saved the day for Andrew Raycroft in Dallas on Tuesday.
Perhaps Duncan Keith realized that he wouldn’t get in many video packages unless he scored goals like he did in that NHL ’11 commercial and decide to take things into his own hands (and feet). Marty Turco is a great puck handling goalie – some would say one of the best ever – but the downside is that his aggressive puck moving abilities can occasionally lead to bad turnovers. Turco gave up the puck to Benn Ferriero who had an open net to shoot on, but Keith made a head’s up play to keep it from happening. The San Jose Sharks ultimately beat the Chicago Blackhawks, but Keith provided a great effort to keep it scoreless in the early going.
Check out video of Keith bailing out Turco in the video below.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)