Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Could it be that defensemen are envious of goalies getting all the glory during highlight shows when they make big saves?
Maybe not, but there have coincidentally been a lot of blueliners showing up in our save of the night videos lately. Marek Zidlicky made a clever (and legal) use of his hands in the defensive zone a few weeks ago while Stephane Robidas saved the day for Andrew Raycroft in Dallas on Tuesday.
Perhaps Duncan Keith realized that he wouldn’t get in many video packages unless he scored goals like he did in that NHL ’11 commercial and decide to take things into his own hands (and feet). Marty Turco is a great puck handling goalie – some would say one of the best ever – but the downside is that his aggressive puck moving abilities can occasionally lead to bad turnovers. Turco gave up the puck to Benn Ferriero who had an open net to shoot on, but Keith made a head’s up play to keep it from happening. The San Jose Sharks ultimately beat the Chicago Blackhawks, but Keith provided a great effort to keep it scoreless in the early going.
Check out video of Keith bailing out Turco in the video below.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)