Dec 31, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
For recaps of Thursday’s first four games, click here. Now let’s take a look at the two games that went beyond our bed times.
Something had to give with these two teams, as each club was on a losing streak. The Avalanche broke their three-game skid while they extended the Oilers slump to five consecutive games with a shootout win. It didn’t come easily, though.
The Avs built a three goal lead with goals by T.J. Galiardi, Paul Stastny and Tomas Fleischmann. Edmonton began their comeback with a Taylor Hall goal in the second period and then tied it up in the third thanks to tallies by Ales Hemsky and Andrew Cogliano. Milan Hejduk ended up being the only guy who scored in the shootout to win for Colorado, as Craig Anderson outlasted Devan Dubnyk.
Edmonton is firmly behind Calgary for last place in the West while Colorado still trails Vancouver in the Northwest by four points. The Avalanche would be the fifth seed if the playoffs started today.
After getting dismantled by the Vancouver Canucks on 6-2 on Tuesday, the Flyers redeemed themselves via a dominant performance against the Kings. Mike Richards and his teammates made things relatively easy for Michael Leighton (32 out of 36 saves) during the goalie’s first game back from injury. Richards scored two goals and two assists, matching the Kings’ offensive output in his own production.
As of today, Philadelphia would be fourth in the East (trailing the Penguins by two points and two wins with two games in hand) and L.A. would be fourth in the West (trailing the Stars by three points with one game in hand). If that held true, we’d see Washington-Philadelphia and Colorado-Los Angeles in the first round of the playoffs. Sign us up for that.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)