Dec 31, 2010, 4:28 PM EST
While it’s looking like the Winter Classic could be moved to an evening start, the one upside to that for Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma is that it’ll give him a little extra time to make a roster decision on Jordan Staal. During today’s post-practice news conference Bylsma said that Staal will be a game-time decision on whether or not he plays.
“Whoever’s going to ask the Jordan Staal question, whoever that might be, he’ll be a game-time decision,” Bylsma said after the Penguins practice at Heinz Field.
Should Staal play tomorrow it’ll mark his first action of the year as he missed training camp and all of this season with separate injuries to his hand and his foot. Staal was slated to be center on a line with Evgeni Malkin before the season began and Bylsma said that that initial plan could hold true whenever Staal returns to the lineup.
Whether or not it’s a good idea for Staal to make his return on what could be a questionable ice surface outdoors at Heinz Field is up for debate. Losing Staal again would be a brutal blow for the Pens. While they haven’t missed him so far this year, a player of his caliber is necessary come playoff time.
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 6
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63