Dec 31, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT
While it’s looking like the Winter Classic could be moved to an evening start, the one upside to that for Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma is that it’ll give him a little extra time to make a roster decision on Jordan Staal. During today’s post-practice news conference Bylsma said that Staal will be a game-time decision on whether or not he plays.
“Whoever’s going to ask the Jordan Staal question, whoever that might be, he’ll be a game-time decision,” Bylsma said after the Penguins practice at Heinz Field.
Should Staal play tomorrow it’ll mark his first action of the year as he missed training camp and all of this season with separate injuries to his hand and his foot. Staal was slated to be center on a line with Evgeni Malkin before the season began and Bylsma said that that initial plan could hold true whenever Staal returns to the lineup.
Whether or not it’s a good idea for Staal to make his return on what could be a questionable ice surface outdoors at Heinz Field is up for debate. Losing Staal again would be a brutal blow for the Pens. While they haven’t missed him so far this year, a player of his caliber is necessary come playoff time.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)