Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
For all the great moments depicted in our goal of the night awards, it seemed like a guy who lit the lamp 31 times already this season would show up more often. We don’t “see Stamkos” nearly enough on these awards, so it’s great to see him score a goal so entertaining that it would take something amazing to keep him from earning the award.
Steven Stamkos now finds himself only one goal behind Sidney Crosby (32 for Crosby, 31 for Stamkos) and second place in scoring (65 points for Crosby, 56 for Stamkos) after his two-goal, two-assist night as the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montreal Canadiens 4-1.
The game was still within reach – Tampa held a one goal lead early in third – when officials decided to give Stamkos a penalty shot. The young star sniper made an impressive spin move and fired the puck with his backhand during a goal in which Carey Price was basically helpless. That effort earned Stamkos last night’s best tally and will definitely put him in the running for the first goal of the week award of 2011.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)