Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
For all the great moments depicted in our goal of the night awards, it seemed like a guy who lit the lamp 31 times already this season would show up more often. We don’t “see Stamkos” nearly enough on these awards, so it’s great to see him score a goal so entertaining that it would take something amazing to keep him from earning the award.
Steven Stamkos now finds himself only one goal behind Sidney Crosby (32 for Crosby, 31 for Stamkos) and second place in scoring (65 points for Crosby, 56 for Stamkos) after his two-goal, two-assist night as the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montreal Canadiens 4-1.
The game was still within reach – Tampa held a one goal lead early in third – when officials decided to give Stamkos a penalty shot. The young star sniper made an impressive spin move and fired the puck with his backhand during a goal in which Carey Price was basically helpless. That effort earned Stamkos last night’s best tally and will definitely put him in the running for the first goal of the week award of 2011.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)