Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
For all the great moments depicted in our goal of the night awards, it seemed like a guy who lit the lamp 31 times already this season would show up more often. We don’t “see Stamkos” nearly enough on these awards, so it’s great to see him score a goal so entertaining that it would take something amazing to keep him from earning the award.
Steven Stamkos now finds himself only one goal behind Sidney Crosby (32 for Crosby, 31 for Stamkos) and second place in scoring (65 points for Crosby, 56 for Stamkos) after his two-goal, two-assist night as the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montreal Canadiens 4-1.
The game was still within reach – Tampa held a one goal lead early in third – when officials decided to give Stamkos a penalty shot. The young star sniper made an impressive spin move and fired the puck with his backhand during a goal in which Carey Price was basically helpless. That effort earned Stamkos last night’s best tally and will definitely put him in the running for the first goal of the week award of 2011.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)