Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
For all the great moments depicted in our goal of the night awards, it seemed like a guy who lit the lamp 31 times already this season would show up more often. We don’t “see Stamkos” nearly enough on these awards, so it’s great to see him score a goal so entertaining that it would take something amazing to keep him from earning the award.
Steven Stamkos now finds himself only one goal behind Sidney Crosby (32 for Crosby, 31 for Stamkos) and second place in scoring (65 points for Crosby, 56 for Stamkos) after his two-goal, two-assist night as the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montreal Canadiens 4-1.
The game was still within reach – Tampa held a one goal lead early in third – when officials decided to give Stamkos a penalty shot. The young star sniper made an impressive spin move and fired the puck with his backhand during a goal in which Carey Price was basically helpless. That effort earned Stamkos last night’s best tally and will definitely put him in the running for the first goal of the week award of 2011.
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 0
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)