Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
For all the great moments depicted in our goal of the night awards, it seemed like a guy who lit the lamp 31 times already this season would show up more often. We don’t “see Stamkos” nearly enough on these awards, so it’s great to see him score a goal so entertaining that it would take something amazing to keep him from earning the award.
Steven Stamkos now finds himself only one goal behind Sidney Crosby (32 for Crosby, 31 for Stamkos) and second place in scoring (65 points for Crosby, 56 for Stamkos) after his two-goal, two-assist night as the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montreal Canadiens 4-1.
The game was still within reach – Tampa held a one goal lead early in third – when officials decided to give Stamkos a penalty shot. The young star sniper made an impressive spin move and fired the puck with his backhand during a goal in which Carey Price was basically helpless. That effort earned Stamkos last night’s best tally and will definitely put him in the running for the first goal of the week award of 2011.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)