Dec 31, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Maxim Lapierre has always been considered a nuisance on the ice by opponents. Of late he’s been a bit of a pain in the rear to the Montreal Canadiens in asking for more playing time. With no extra minutes to go around to the pesky forward, he wanted out of Montreal via trade. Today, his wish was granted as the Canadiens traded him to Anaheim for defenseman Brett Festerling and a fifth round pick.
Lapierre gives the Ducks a checking forward with an edge to his game and a means to get under the skin of virtually every opponent he faces. In other words, he’s the ideal kind of player to land in Anaheim. Festerling gives the Habs a depth defenseman and someone else for coach Jacques Martin to cycle in and out of the lineup with Yanick Weber and P.K. Subban if he’s feeling daring to incite problems with the Habs fan base.
Lapierre’s penchant for exaggerating hits and committing questionably dirty hits has earned him a reputation around the league, one that’s surely only going to be exasperated playing in Anaheim. Lapierre helps shore up the Ducks down the middle as they’re without Ryan Getzlaf thanks to his broken nasal cavity. The Ducks were already thin at center but Lapierre will give them another guy to win faceoffs. No, Lapierre won’t help out offensively but he will be a great addition to an energy/agitation line.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)