Dec 31, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Maxim Lapierre has always been considered a nuisance on the ice by opponents. Of late he’s been a bit of a pain in the rear to the Montreal Canadiens in asking for more playing time. With no extra minutes to go around to the pesky forward, he wanted out of Montreal via trade. Today, his wish was granted as the Canadiens traded him to Anaheim for defenseman Brett Festerling and a fifth round pick.
Lapierre gives the Ducks a checking forward with an edge to his game and a means to get under the skin of virtually every opponent he faces. In other words, he’s the ideal kind of player to land in Anaheim. Festerling gives the Habs a depth defenseman and someone else for coach Jacques Martin to cycle in and out of the lineup with Yanick Weber and P.K. Subban if he’s feeling daring to incite problems with the Habs fan base.
Lapierre’s penchant for exaggerating hits and committing questionably dirty hits has earned him a reputation around the league, one that’s surely only going to be exasperated playing in Anaheim. Lapierre helps shore up the Ducks down the middle as they’re without Ryan Getzlaf thanks to his broken nasal cavity. The Ducks were already thin at center but Lapierre will give them another guy to win faceoffs. No, Lapierre won’t help out offensively but he will be a great addition to an energy/agitation line.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming