Dec 31, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Maxim Lapierre has always been considered a nuisance on the ice by opponents. Of late he’s been a bit of a pain in the rear to the Montreal Canadiens in asking for more playing time. With no extra minutes to go around to the pesky forward, he wanted out of Montreal via trade. Today, his wish was granted as the Canadiens traded him to Anaheim for defenseman Brett Festerling and a fifth round pick.
Lapierre gives the Ducks a checking forward with an edge to his game and a means to get under the skin of virtually every opponent he faces. In other words, he’s the ideal kind of player to land in Anaheim. Festerling gives the Habs a depth defenseman and someone else for coach Jacques Martin to cycle in and out of the lineup with Yanick Weber and P.K. Subban if he’s feeling daring to incite problems with the Habs fan base.
Lapierre’s penchant for exaggerating hits and committing questionably dirty hits has earned him a reputation around the league, one that’s surely only going to be exasperated playing in Anaheim. Lapierre helps shore up the Ducks down the middle as they’re without Ryan Getzlaf thanks to his broken nasal cavity. The Ducks were already thin at center but Lapierre will give them another guy to win faceoffs. No, Lapierre won’t help out offensively but he will be a great addition to an energy/agitation line.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)