Dec 31, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Maxim Lapierre has always been considered a nuisance on the ice by opponents. Of late he’s been a bit of a pain in the rear to the Montreal Canadiens in asking for more playing time. With no extra minutes to go around to the pesky forward, he wanted out of Montreal via trade. Today, his wish was granted as the Canadiens traded him to Anaheim for defenseman Brett Festerling and a fifth round pick.
Lapierre gives the Ducks a checking forward with an edge to his game and a means to get under the skin of virtually every opponent he faces. In other words, he’s the ideal kind of player to land in Anaheim. Festerling gives the Habs a depth defenseman and someone else for coach Jacques Martin to cycle in and out of the lineup with Yanick Weber and P.K. Subban if he’s feeling daring to incite problems with the Habs fan base.
Lapierre’s penchant for exaggerating hits and committing questionably dirty hits has earned him a reputation around the league, one that’s surely only going to be exasperated playing in Anaheim. Lapierre helps shore up the Ducks down the middle as they’re without Ryan Getzlaf thanks to his broken nasal cavity. The Ducks were already thin at center but Lapierre will give them another guy to win faceoffs. No, Lapierre won’t help out offensively but he will be a great addition to an energy/agitation line.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 1
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 2
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)