Dec 31, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
College hockey apparently isn’t immune to defections during the season as it seems. After an off-season that saw numerous NCAA hockey players leave college early to sign entry-level deals with the NHL teams that drafted them, college hockey takes another blow to their ego. University of Minnesota-Duluth star Dylan Olsen is giving up college halfway into the season to sign his three-year entry-level deal with the Chicago Blackhawks.
This season for UMD, Olsen has been a stud. The 6’2″ 206-pound defenseman had one goal and 12 assists this season for the Bulldogs and is a member of Team Canada’s World Junior Championships squad. Olsen is 20 years-old and rather than end up playing in Canadian juniors, he’ll head to Rockford in the AHL to join fellow college defectors Nick Leddy and Brandon Pirri. Chicago’s done as much to hurt college hockey in the past year as any team in recent memory signing away three premiere players at the NCAA level.
Chicago’s severe lack of depth in the AHL was apparent before the season began and they had to fill ranks somehow. Doing it with top draft picks isn’t a big surprise, but doing so so soon after drafting them is a different and dangerous thing as far as college hockey is concerned. For the Blackhawks though, adding another highly talented young defenseman to their depth right now is a big deal. With Olsen and Leddy now waiting in the wings, the days of Jordan Hendry and Nick Boynton holding down top six jobs on the blue line are in jeopardy down the line.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)