Dec 30, 2010, 3:26 PM EST
While there’s a lot of things you’ll get to see on Saturday on NBC with our coverage of the Winter Classic in Pittsburgh, there’s a closer look and some fun things around Heinz Field that you might not get as close a look at. After spending the last few days in Pittsburgh and getting to know the workings of Heinz Field pretty well.
Putting together a big event like this takes a lot of work and seeing the way they rapidly put things together here is impressive and amazing and hopefully some of these photos will help convey that and get you excited for the NHL’s big way to ring in the new year.
If you’d like to see the larger version of these pictures (and yes, they are big and clear) click on the photos to see them big and bold.
Being here with a rink outside to play on in a gigantic football stadium is a rare thing, one thing you generally don’t get to see is what it looks like to peer down the ice to stare down the end zone. Trying to wrap your head around this view from ice level and then picturing a packed stadium is pretty intimidating.
Keeping a rink this size that’s sitting outdoors amongst the elements takes a lot of work. Something you won’t get a look at is how it’s done to keep the ice nice and cold. This look at the piping that runs the coolant underneath the ice shows you just how they take care of the problems of keeping the playing surface in great condition.
Two days ago, before all the paint and logos and other parts to the rink setup were out there, the ice was about as pure as it’ll ever look. It’s far from the final product but this is as pristine and serene a setting as you’ll see in what’s normally a raucous stadium.
If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to sit from the first row at center ice for an event like this, this photo should give you a great idea of the kind of view you can expect. Much like for a regular game in an arena, the closer you are to the glass, the worse the view is. Of course, then you don’t get to brag to your friends about being the closest to the action.
One of the new features that NBC will have for this year’s Winter Classic is a zip camera above the rink. You might be familiar with the camera from NBC’s Sunday Night Football as they follow the players from the huddle to the line of scrimmage. For the Winter Classic, this camera will follow Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin as they rush up the ice to create chances and score goals. At least that’s what we’re hoping will happen. Sitting this camera above the zone on a power play might be the coolest thing we get to see all year.
Outside of Heinz Field, there’s a community rink that’s been playing host to local high school games and open skates for fans to come down and take part in. The view from here isn’t exactly bad. Getting to hear these teams chatter back and forth from the walkway next to the rink provided some 24/7-like entertainment. Earmuffs, kids.
As for the finished product on the ice, the view as seen from the press box here at Heinz Field gives you a fantastic look of what you’ll be seeing live and in high definition (or 3-D if you so choose) on New Year’s Day. This makes for a pretty fantastic arrangement.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)