Dec 30, 2010, 9:15 AM EDT
Safe to say that Rick DiPietro was locked in the “zone” last night. DiPietro made 37 saves on the way to leading the Islanders to a 2-1 shootout win over Pittsburgh. There was no one save bigger than the one he had on Kris Letang in the third period.
During a goal mouth scramble, the Islanders were doing their best to keep Pittsburgh off the board and prevent them from taking the lead. They even went so far as to have a defenseman handle the puck in the crease. That’s a big no-no and the Penguins were awarded a penalty shot with just over seven minutes to play in the game.
Letang, a slick shooter on the penalty shot in his own right, did his best to fake out DiPietro but it was not meant to be and DiPietro made sure to preserve the game for the Isles.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)