Dec 30, 2010, 9:15 AM EST
Safe to say that Rick DiPietro was locked in the “zone” last night. DiPietro made 37 saves on the way to leading the Islanders to a 2-1 shootout win over Pittsburgh. There was no one save bigger than the one he had on Kris Letang in the third period.
During a goal mouth scramble, the Islanders were doing their best to keep Pittsburgh off the board and prevent them from taking the lead. They even went so far as to have a defenseman handle the puck in the crease. That’s a big no-no and the Penguins were awarded a penalty shot with just over seven minutes to play in the game.
Letang, a slick shooter on the penalty shot in his own right, did his best to fake out DiPietro but it was not meant to be and DiPietro made sure to preserve the game for the Isles.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 5
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 17
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29