Dec 30, 2010, 9:15 AM EDT
Safe to say that Rick DiPietro was locked in the “zone” last night. DiPietro made 37 saves on the way to leading the Islanders to a 2-1 shootout win over Pittsburgh. There was no one save bigger than the one he had on Kris Letang in the third period.
During a goal mouth scramble, the Islanders were doing their best to keep Pittsburgh off the board and prevent them from taking the lead. They even went so far as to have a defenseman handle the puck in the crease. That’s a big no-no and the Penguins were awarded a penalty shot with just over seven minutes to play in the game.
Letang, a slick shooter on the penalty shot in his own right, did his best to fake out DiPietro but it was not meant to be and DiPietro made sure to preserve the game for the Isles.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)