Dec 30, 2010, 9:15 AM EDT
Safe to say that Rick DiPietro was locked in the “zone” last night. DiPietro made 37 saves on the way to leading the Islanders to a 2-1 shootout win over Pittsburgh. There was no one save bigger than the one he had on Kris Letang in the third period.
During a goal mouth scramble, the Islanders were doing their best to keep Pittsburgh off the board and prevent them from taking the lead. They even went so far as to have a defenseman handle the puck in the crease. That’s a big no-no and the Penguins were awarded a penalty shot with just over seven minutes to play in the game.
Letang, a slick shooter on the penalty shot in his own right, did his best to fake out DiPietro but it was not meant to be and DiPietro made sure to preserve the game for the Isles.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6