Dec 30, 2010, 9:15 AM EDT
Safe to say that Rick DiPietro was locked in the “zone” last night. DiPietro made 37 saves on the way to leading the Islanders to a 2-1 shootout win over Pittsburgh. There was no one save bigger than the one he had on Kris Letang in the third period.
During a goal mouth scramble, the Islanders were doing their best to keep Pittsburgh off the board and prevent them from taking the lead. They even went so far as to have a defenseman handle the puck in the crease. That’s a big no-no and the Penguins were awarded a penalty shot with just over seven minutes to play in the game.
Letang, a slick shooter on the penalty shot in his own right, did his best to fake out DiPietro but it was not meant to be and DiPietro made sure to preserve the game for the Isles.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)