Dec 29, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
Contract extensions being handed out to players that may not land on your radar as a fan don’t usually draw attention. In the case of Dallas’ Trevor Daley, he’s managed to break the mold. The steady blue liner signed a six-year contract extension with the Stars worth $19.8 million. Daley doesn’t often get noticed, but he’s as close to rock solid as it gets for any defenseman. This season he’s averaged nearly 23 minutes per game and has two goals and nine assists.
What’s most intriguing about this contract extension is that Dallas’ ownership mess is still going on. It’s the same ownership hangup that won’t allow Brad Richards to sign a contract extension with the Stars. For Daley, his contract extension is worth an extra $1 million a year for the next six years on the cap. A million dollars is a relative drop in the bucket, however, compared to what the Stars leading scorer would require to stay in Dallas.
Richards is on the last year of his contract, one with a $7.8 million cap hit. Any extension that he’d get to stay in Dallas would require a similar, if not enhanced, financial commitment. If GM Joe Nieuwendyk wants to spend that kind of money needs approval from the league to spend the cash needed to make it happen. With owner Tom Hicks in the process of ridding himself of the team and selling to anyone who wants in, it’s unlikely that approval would be given for such a huge deal with a potential owner waiting in the wings. Saddling a future owner with such a large contract doesn’t do wonders for selling the franchise.
Daley’s deal, while long, ultimately isn’t a back breaker of a contract. The financial details put it on par with what Niklas Hjalmarsson got from the Chicago Blackhawks over the summer courtesy of the San Jose Sharks and their offer sheet. Still, it’s curious that the Stars got approval for the contract. Is this a sign for the future and that the team will be sold soon? We shall see.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)