Dec 29, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
Contract extensions being handed out to players that may not land on your radar as a fan don’t usually draw attention. In the case of Dallas’ Trevor Daley, he’s managed to break the mold. The steady blue liner signed a six-year contract extension with the Stars worth $19.8 million. Daley doesn’t often get noticed, but he’s as close to rock solid as it gets for any defenseman. This season he’s averaged nearly 23 minutes per game and has two goals and nine assists.
What’s most intriguing about this contract extension is that Dallas’ ownership mess is still going on. It’s the same ownership hangup that won’t allow Brad Richards to sign a contract extension with the Stars. For Daley, his contract extension is worth an extra $1 million a year for the next six years on the cap. A million dollars is a relative drop in the bucket, however, compared to what the Stars leading scorer would require to stay in Dallas.
Richards is on the last year of his contract, one with a $7.8 million cap hit. Any extension that he’d get to stay in Dallas would require a similar, if not enhanced, financial commitment. If GM Joe Nieuwendyk wants to spend that kind of money needs approval from the league to spend the cash needed to make it happen. With owner Tom Hicks in the process of ridding himself of the team and selling to anyone who wants in, it’s unlikely that approval would be given for such a huge deal with a potential owner waiting in the wings. Saddling a future owner with such a large contract doesn’t do wonders for selling the franchise.
Daley’s deal, while long, ultimately isn’t a back breaker of a contract. The financial details put it on par with what Niklas Hjalmarsson got from the Chicago Blackhawks over the summer courtesy of the San Jose Sharks and their offer sheet. Still, it’s curious that the Stars got approval for the contract. Is this a sign for the future and that the team will be sold soon? We shall see.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)