Dec 29, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
Even if the NHL (thankfully) keeps a dedicated stat category for a blocked shot – whether it be a forward or defenseman doing the shot blocking – it’s still an underrated act of bravery. (Some stats bloggers will point out that a defenseman with a high number of blocked shots might compile so many because they’re often out of position, but it’s still courageous.)
Normally, blocked shots are forgotten well after a player’s bruises heal up. Yet every now and then, a defenseman goes from making a blocked shot to practically becoming an impromptu netminder.
We’ve seen more than a few instances when a blocked shot or heads-up defensive play is so impressive (and entertaining) that we cannot help but make it the save of the night. Most recently, we awarded a crafty play by Minnesota Wild defenseman Marek Zidlicky.
Well, we have another great bit of defensive desperation/cleverness to add to that group from Tuesday’s game. Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas is one of those guys who can do a little of everything from playing the point on the power play, logging numerous even strength minutes and providing rugged defense on the penalty kill. His hockey IQ and willingness to do whatever it takes to help his team win were on bold display last night, as he bailed out Andrew Raycroft and the rest of the squad with some heady saves.
You really have to hand it to Robidas on this one, as he saved Raycroft with some great work. To be fair, Raycroft bailed the Stars defense out plenty of times last night, earning 44 saves in the win against Nashville. Check out Robidas’ goalie auditions in the clip below.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)