Dec 29, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
Just when the Chicago Blackhawks looked like they were going to get closer to full strength with the return of Patrick Kane, they saw their captain Jonathan Toews go down with what appeared to be a shoulder injury.
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville didn’t provide much information about the severity of his “upper body injury.” He only remarked that he “hoped it wasn’t serious” during the team’s post-game press conference.
The good news for Kane was that he played a robust 19:45 in the game, but a -2 rating indicates that he might not be up to full speed just yet.
It was a tough night all around for Chicago, as they lost to the suddenly hot St. Louis Blues 3-1 on the strength of a 25-save performance by backup goalie Ty Conklin. The Hawks also wasted a great performance by Marty Turco, who stopped 40 out of 43 shots.
Again, it’s unclear how severe the shoulder injury might be. Knowing the way things are going this season for the Blackhawks, it wouldn’t be surprising if he missed some serious time. We’ll let you know once we find out more.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)