Dec 29, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
Just when the Chicago Blackhawks looked like they were going to get closer to full strength with the return of Patrick Kane, they saw their captain Jonathan Toews go down with what appeared to be a shoulder injury.
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville didn’t provide much information about the severity of his “upper body injury.” He only remarked that he “hoped it wasn’t serious” during the team’s post-game press conference.
The good news for Kane was that he played a robust 19:45 in the game, but a -2 rating indicates that he might not be up to full speed just yet.
It was a tough night all around for Chicago, as they lost to the suddenly hot St. Louis Blues 3-1 on the strength of a 25-save performance by backup goalie Ty Conklin. The Hawks also wasted a great performance by Marty Turco, who stopped 40 out of 43 shots.
Again, it’s unclear how severe the shoulder injury might be. Knowing the way things are going this season for the Blackhawks, it wouldn’t be surprising if he missed some serious time. We’ll let you know once we find out more.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)