Dec 29, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
Just when the Chicago Blackhawks looked like they were going to get closer to full strength with the return of Patrick Kane, they saw their captain Jonathan Toews go down with what appeared to be a shoulder injury.
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville didn’t provide much information about the severity of his “upper body injury.” He only remarked that he “hoped it wasn’t serious” during the team’s post-game press conference.
The good news for Kane was that he played a robust 19:45 in the game, but a -2 rating indicates that he might not be up to full speed just yet.
It was a tough night all around for Chicago, as they lost to the suddenly hot St. Louis Blues 3-1 on the strength of a 25-save performance by backup goalie Ty Conklin. The Hawks also wasted a great performance by Marty Turco, who stopped 40 out of 43 shots.
Again, it’s unclear how severe the shoulder injury might be. Knowing the way things are going this season for the Blackhawks, it wouldn’t be surprising if he missed some serious time. We’ll let you know once we find out more.
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 0
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 6
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 49
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner