Dec 29, 2010, 4:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia will be without their main man enforcer Jody Shelley for two games after being suspended for delivering a sucker punch to Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts. Shelley will give up nearly $27,000 in salary for the two games.
If it sounds like a familiar offense, it is. Just last week we saw Boston’s Milan Lucic receive a match penalty for delivering a sucker punch to Atlanta’s Freddy Meyer. Lucic, however, was not suspended for his punch. If you think this sounds inconsistent, you’re right. Shelley was suspended for two games earlier this season for a hit from behind on Boston’s Adam McQuaid.
If you’re the kind of person that enjoys wearing tinfoil on your head and puts a lot of stock in Colin Campbell’s effect on punishment where it involves his son Gregory’s team, you’ll find it interesting that a Boston player was not punished for the offense and a player that has wronged Boston earlier this year gets smacked again by the league.
Of course that’s got nothing to do with anything here but it sure makes for interesting discussion if not a raised eyebrow or two.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)