Dec 29, 2010, 4:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia will be without their main man enforcer Jody Shelley for two games after being suspended for delivering a sucker punch to Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts. Shelley will give up nearly $27,000 in salary for the two games.
If it sounds like a familiar offense, it is. Just last week we saw Boston’s Milan Lucic receive a match penalty for delivering a sucker punch to Atlanta’s Freddy Meyer. Lucic, however, was not suspended for his punch. If you think this sounds inconsistent, you’re right. Shelley was suspended for two games earlier this season for a hit from behind on Boston’s Adam McQuaid.
If you’re the kind of person that enjoys wearing tinfoil on your head and puts a lot of stock in Colin Campbell’s effect on punishment where it involves his son Gregory’s team, you’ll find it interesting that a Boston player was not punished for the offense and a player that has wronged Boston earlier this year gets smacked again by the league.
Of course that’s got nothing to do with anything here but it sure makes for interesting discussion if not a raised eyebrow or two.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)