Dec 29, 2010, 4:57 PM EDT
Philadelphia will be without their main man enforcer Jody Shelley for two games after being suspended for delivering a sucker punch to Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts. Shelley will give up nearly $27,000 in salary for the two games.
If it sounds like a familiar offense, it is. Just last week we saw Boston’s Milan Lucic receive a match penalty for delivering a sucker punch to Atlanta’s Freddy Meyer. Lucic, however, was not suspended for his punch. If you think this sounds inconsistent, you’re right. Shelley was suspended for two games earlier this season for a hit from behind on Boston’s Adam McQuaid.
If you’re the kind of person that enjoys wearing tinfoil on your head and puts a lot of stock in Colin Campbell’s effect on punishment where it involves his son Gregory’s team, you’ll find it interesting that a Boston player was not punished for the offense and a player that has wronged Boston earlier this year gets smacked again by the league.
Of course that’s got nothing to do with anything here but it sure makes for interesting discussion if not a raised eyebrow or two.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)