Dec 29, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
There were nine games last night, so it’s not a shocker that there were a handful of great goals to choose from for Tuesday’s award.
Sidney Crosby had a great two-goal, two assist performance highlighted by a goal in which he split two Atlanta Thrashers defensemen and beat a helpless Ondrej Pavelec. Alexandre Burrows showed a magnificent bit of patience against the Philadelphia Flyers when he set up a beauty of a goal. Vincent Lecavalier took a page from NHL ’94 to score his seventh tally of the season via a nice wraparound move.
Ultimately, I had to go with little-known Washington Capitals forward Jay Beagle‘s turnaround top shelf tally as the December 28th goal of the night. He might not match the star power of Crosby or Lecavalier, but he made up for his relative anonymity (outside of the hardcore hockey community, naturally) by coming up with a nice move.
He probably wouldn’t have guessed that it would stand up as the game winner, but Semyon Varlamov stopped every Montreal Canadiens shot on a way to that 3-0 victory. Check out Beagle’s goal in the video above.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)