Dec 29, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
There were nine games last night, so it’s not a shocker that there were a handful of great goals to choose from for Tuesday’s award.
Sidney Crosby had a great two-goal, two assist performance highlighted by a goal in which he split two Atlanta Thrashers defensemen and beat a helpless Ondrej Pavelec. Alexandre Burrows showed a magnificent bit of patience against the Philadelphia Flyers when he set up a beauty of a goal. Vincent Lecavalier took a page from NHL ’94 to score his seventh tally of the season via a nice wraparound move.
Ultimately, I had to go with little-known Washington Capitals forward Jay Beagle‘s turnaround top shelf tally as the December 28th goal of the night. He might not match the star power of Crosby or Lecavalier, but he made up for his relative anonymity (outside of the hardcore hockey community, naturally) by coming up with a nice move.
He probably wouldn’t have guessed that it would stand up as the game winner, but Semyon Varlamov stopped every Montreal Canadiens shot on a way to that 3-0 victory. Check out Beagle’s goal in the video above.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 36
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 2
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 18
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13