Dec 29, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
There were nine games last night, so it’s not a shocker that there were a handful of great goals to choose from for Tuesday’s award.
Sidney Crosby had a great two-goal, two assist performance highlighted by a goal in which he split two Atlanta Thrashers defensemen and beat a helpless Ondrej Pavelec. Alexandre Burrows showed a magnificent bit of patience against the Philadelphia Flyers when he set up a beauty of a goal. Vincent Lecavalier took a page from NHL ’94 to score his seventh tally of the season via a nice wraparound move.
Ultimately, I had to go with little-known Washington Capitals forward Jay Beagle‘s turnaround top shelf tally as the December 28th goal of the night. He might not match the star power of Crosby or Lecavalier, but he made up for his relative anonymity (outside of the hardcore hockey community, naturally) by coming up with a nice move.
He probably wouldn’t have guessed that it would stand up as the game winner, but Semyon Varlamov stopped every Montreal Canadiens shot on a way to that 3-0 victory. Check out Beagle’s goal in the video above.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)