Dec 29, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
There were nine games last night, so it’s not a shocker that there were a handful of great goals to choose from for Tuesday’s award.
Sidney Crosby had a great two-goal, two assist performance highlighted by a goal in which he split two Atlanta Thrashers defensemen and beat a helpless Ondrej Pavelec. Alexandre Burrows showed a magnificent bit of patience against the Philadelphia Flyers when he set up a beauty of a goal. Vincent Lecavalier took a page from NHL ’94 to score his seventh tally of the season via a nice wraparound move.
Ultimately, I had to go with little-known Washington Capitals forward Jay Beagle‘s turnaround top shelf tally as the December 28th goal of the night. He might not match the star power of Crosby or Lecavalier, but he made up for his relative anonymity (outside of the hardcore hockey community, naturally) by coming up with a nice move.
He probably wouldn’t have guessed that it would stand up as the game winner, but Semyon Varlamov stopped every Montreal Canadiens shot on a way to that 3-0 victory. Check out Beagle’s goal in the video above.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)