Dec 29, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
You knew it was going to come to an end at some point. Sidney Crosby‘s 25 game point scoring streak came to an end tonight as the Penguins lost to the Islanders 2-1 in a shootout. Crosby was shutdown in regulation, overtime, and again in the shootout as Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro served to be the guy who helped stonewall Sid the Kid.
Also filling in in that role tonight as shutdown artist was Frans Nielsen, the Islanders Danish centerman. Nielsen’s tenacious work in keeping the Penguins top line quiet all night long was noticed and very apparent all night long.
Josh Bailey scored the Isles lone regulation goal while Chris Conner got Pittsburgh’s only goal. In the shootout, Marc-Andre Fleury had a hard time keeping up with the Islanders as they scored in three out of four rounds. P.A. Parenteau scored the shootout-deciding goal. DiPietro stopped Mark Letestu in the fourth round to end the game.
For Crosby, having his streak snapped in the game right before the Winter Classic is undoubtedly a let down. We’ll also be curious to see if the notoriously superstitious Crosby finally shaves off the mustache he’s been working on since the streak started in November. At the very least, we could be spared from having to see Sid’s mustache in glorious high definition on NBC at 1 pm on January 1st. So much for that storyline.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)