Dec 29, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
You knew it was going to come to an end at some point. Sidney Crosby‘s 25 game point scoring streak came to an end tonight as the Penguins lost to the Islanders 2-1 in a shootout. Crosby was shutdown in regulation, overtime, and again in the shootout as Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro served to be the guy who helped stonewall Sid the Kid.
Also filling in in that role tonight as shutdown artist was Frans Nielsen, the Islanders Danish centerman. Nielsen’s tenacious work in keeping the Penguins top line quiet all night long was noticed and very apparent all night long.
Josh Bailey scored the Isles lone regulation goal while Chris Conner got Pittsburgh’s only goal. In the shootout, Marc-Andre Fleury had a hard time keeping up with the Islanders as they scored in three out of four rounds. P.A. Parenteau scored the shootout-deciding goal. DiPietro stopped Mark Letestu in the fourth round to end the game.
For Crosby, having his streak snapped in the game right before the Winter Classic is undoubtedly a let down. We’ll also be curious to see if the notoriously superstitious Crosby finally shaves off the mustache he’s been working on since the streak started in November. At the very least, we could be spared from having to see Sid’s mustache in glorious high definition on NBC at 1 pm on January 1st. So much for that storyline.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25