Dec 29, 2010, 10:28 PM EST
You knew it was going to come to an end at some point. Sidney Crosby‘s 25 game point scoring streak came to an end tonight as the Penguins lost to the Islanders 2-1 in a shootout. Crosby was shutdown in regulation, overtime, and again in the shootout as Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro served to be the guy who helped stonewall Sid the Kid.
Also filling in in that role tonight as shutdown artist was Frans Nielsen, the Islanders Danish centerman. Nielsen’s tenacious work in keeping the Penguins top line quiet all night long was noticed and very apparent all night long.
Josh Bailey scored the Isles lone regulation goal while Chris Conner got Pittsburgh’s only goal. In the shootout, Marc-Andre Fleury had a hard time keeping up with the Islanders as they scored in three out of four rounds. P.A. Parenteau scored the shootout-deciding goal. DiPietro stopped Mark Letestu in the fourth round to end the game.
For Crosby, having his streak snapped in the game right before the Winter Classic is undoubtedly a let down. We’ll also be curious to see if the notoriously superstitious Crosby finally shaves off the mustache he’s been working on since the streak started in November. At the very least, we could be spared from having to see Sid’s mustache in glorious high definition on NBC at 1 pm on January 1st. So much for that storyline.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)