Dec 29, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
You knew it was going to come to an end at some point. Sidney Crosby‘s 25 game point scoring streak came to an end tonight as the Penguins lost to the Islanders 2-1 in a shootout. Crosby was shutdown in regulation, overtime, and again in the shootout as Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro served to be the guy who helped stonewall Sid the Kid.
Also filling in in that role tonight as shutdown artist was Frans Nielsen, the Islanders Danish centerman. Nielsen’s tenacious work in keeping the Penguins top line quiet all night long was noticed and very apparent all night long.
Josh Bailey scored the Isles lone regulation goal while Chris Conner got Pittsburgh’s only goal. In the shootout, Marc-Andre Fleury had a hard time keeping up with the Islanders as they scored in three out of four rounds. P.A. Parenteau scored the shootout-deciding goal. DiPietro stopped Mark Letestu in the fourth round to end the game.
For Crosby, having his streak snapped in the game right before the Winter Classic is undoubtedly a let down. We’ll also be curious to see if the notoriously superstitious Crosby finally shaves off the mustache he’s been working on since the streak started in November. At the very least, we could be spared from having to see Sid’s mustache in glorious high definition on NBC at 1 pm on January 1st. So much for that storyline.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)