Dec 29, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
You knew it was going to come to an end at some point. Sidney Crosby‘s 25 game point scoring streak came to an end tonight as the Penguins lost to the Islanders 2-1 in a shootout. Crosby was shutdown in regulation, overtime, and again in the shootout as Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro served to be the guy who helped stonewall Sid the Kid.
Also filling in in that role tonight as shutdown artist was Frans Nielsen, the Islanders Danish centerman. Nielsen’s tenacious work in keeping the Penguins top line quiet all night long was noticed and very apparent all night long.
Josh Bailey scored the Isles lone regulation goal while Chris Conner got Pittsburgh’s only goal. In the shootout, Marc-Andre Fleury had a hard time keeping up with the Islanders as they scored in three out of four rounds. P.A. Parenteau scored the shootout-deciding goal. DiPietro stopped Mark Letestu in the fourth round to end the game.
For Crosby, having his streak snapped in the game right before the Winter Classic is undoubtedly a let down. We’ll also be curious to see if the notoriously superstitious Crosby finally shaves off the mustache he’s been working on since the streak started in November. At the very least, we could be spared from having to see Sid’s mustache in glorious high definition on NBC at 1 pm on January 1st. So much for that storyline.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 44
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 121
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7