Dec 28, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Considering the fact that Chris Osgood earned his 400th career win last night, the chances of him earning the save of the night award for sentimental reasons. There was the worry that someone else would come off with a save so amazing that they’d barge their way into the award.
Well, Osgood bailed us out by making a handful of great stops against the Colorado Avalanche (not to mention 46 overall and a startling 23 in the second period). It’s kind of nice when things work out that way, isn’t it?
So the Detroit Red Wings goalie probably would have earned the award even without that milestone-breaking context, although yet another circus save from Tim Thomas might have beaten him out. (Watch that one here.)
Still, Thomas is as accustomed to winning save of the night awards as George Clooney is familiar with seeing pretty women naked, so Osgood takes the cake. In fact, as a bonus, we’ll throw in Niklas Kronwall’s (400th) game winning goal too.
First, Osgood’s saves:
OK, now here’s Kronwall’s goal and Osgood’s victory celebration. We’ll spare you his incredibly bland interview, though.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)