Dec 28, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Considering the fact that Chris Osgood earned his 400th career win last night, the chances of him earning the save of the night award for sentimental reasons. There was the worry that someone else would come off with a save so amazing that they’d barge their way into the award.
Well, Osgood bailed us out by making a handful of great stops against the Colorado Avalanche (not to mention 46 overall and a startling 23 in the second period). It’s kind of nice when things work out that way, isn’t it?
So the Detroit Red Wings goalie probably would have earned the award even without that milestone-breaking context, although yet another circus save from Tim Thomas might have beaten him out. (Watch that one here.)
Still, Thomas is as accustomed to winning save of the night awards as George Clooney is familiar with seeing pretty women naked, so Osgood takes the cake. In fact, as a bonus, we’ll throw in Niklas Kronwall’s (400th) game winning goal too.
First, Osgood’s saves:
OK, now here’s Kronwall’s goal and Osgood’s victory celebration. We’ll spare you his incredibly bland interview, though.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 0
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55