Dec 28, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
When you become hopelessly obsessed with hockey, the “little things” start to really rock your world.
One of those “little things” happens to be expert outlet passes, particularly when they lead to a goal. (After all, many of the best ones rarely make their way into highlight packages unless they end up affecting the scoreboard or are thwarted by an astounding save.)
For example: I recently spotlighted a great piece of work by Brian Rafalski, even though Danny Cleary earned the goal and Todd Bertuzzi ended up with the primary assist.
Anze Kopitar didn’t send a long distance pass, but rather put forth his own little flash of brilliance. As the Kings’ announcers noted, Kopitar sent a saucer pass that lofted into the air much like an NFL quarterback would lead a receiver with an area pass. While Kopitar made the clip brilliant, Dustin Brown did a great job of deking around Antti Niemi to finish the play. Check out the great goal in the video below.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)