Dec 28, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
When you become hopelessly obsessed with hockey, the “little things” start to really rock your world.
One of those “little things” happens to be expert outlet passes, particularly when they lead to a goal. (After all, many of the best ones rarely make their way into highlight packages unless they end up affecting the scoreboard or are thwarted by an astounding save.)
For example: I recently spotlighted a great piece of work by Brian Rafalski, even though Danny Cleary earned the goal and Todd Bertuzzi ended up with the primary assist.
Anze Kopitar didn’t send a long distance pass, but rather put forth his own little flash of brilliance. As the Kings’ announcers noted, Kopitar sent a saucer pass that lofted into the air much like an NFL quarterback would lead a receiver with an area pass. While Kopitar made the clip brilliant, Dustin Brown did a great job of deking around Antti Niemi to finish the play. Check out the great goal in the video below.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)