Dec 28, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
When you become hopelessly obsessed with hockey, the “little things” start to really rock your world.
One of those “little things” happens to be expert outlet passes, particularly when they lead to a goal. (After all, many of the best ones rarely make their way into highlight packages unless they end up affecting the scoreboard or are thwarted by an astounding save.)
For example: I recently spotlighted a great piece of work by Brian Rafalski, even though Danny Cleary earned the goal and Todd Bertuzzi ended up with the primary assist.
Anze Kopitar didn’t send a long distance pass, but rather put forth his own little flash of brilliance. As the Kings’ announcers noted, Kopitar sent a saucer pass that lofted into the air much like an NFL quarterback would lead a receiver with an area pass. While Kopitar made the clip brilliant, Dustin Brown did a great job of deking around Antti Niemi to finish the play. Check out the great goal in the video below.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)