Dec 28, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
During the 2004 Stanley Cup finals, the Tampa Bay Lightning – a team that Jay Feaster built – defeated the Calgary Flames. Now he’s in charge of rebuilding a Flames team that hasn’t been able to follow up that near-championship run.
That’s because Darryl Sutter stepped down from his perch as the Flames general manager today. To little surprise, the team also announced that Feaster will immediately take over the role after serving as assistant general manager since July.
It’s unclear how Darryl’s resignation will affect the job status of his brother Brent, the team’s head coach. My guess is that Feaster might give him a good chunk of (if not the remaining portion) of this season to prove that he still deserves to be the club’s bench boss. That’s mere speculation, though.
Speaking of speculation, this move will obviously revive the trade rumor mill in Calgary. Will Feaster move Jarome Iginla or another big name? What moves does he have up his sleeve?
Whatever happens, it should be fun to watch … which is more than you could say for the Flames themselves lately.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)