Dec 28, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
During the 2004 Stanley Cup finals, the Tampa Bay Lightning – a team that Jay Feaster built – defeated the Calgary Flames. Now he’s in charge of rebuilding a Flames team that hasn’t been able to follow up that near-championship run.
That’s because Darryl Sutter stepped down from his perch as the Flames general manager today. To little surprise, the team also announced that Feaster will immediately take over the role after serving as assistant general manager since July.
It’s unclear how Darryl’s resignation will affect the job status of his brother Brent, the team’s head coach. My guess is that Feaster might give him a good chunk of (if not the remaining portion) of this season to prove that he still deserves to be the club’s bench boss. That’s mere speculation, though.
Speaking of speculation, this move will obviously revive the trade rumor mill in Calgary. Will Feaster move Jarome Iginla or another big name? What moves does he have up his sleeve?
Whatever happens, it should be fun to watch … which is more than you could say for the Flames themselves lately.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 2
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 7
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 50
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 74
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)