Dec 28, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
During the 2004 Stanley Cup finals, the Tampa Bay Lightning – a team that Jay Feaster built – defeated the Calgary Flames. Now he’s in charge of rebuilding a Flames team that hasn’t been able to follow up that near-championship run.
That’s because Darryl Sutter stepped down from his perch as the Flames general manager today. To little surprise, the team also announced that Feaster will immediately take over the role after serving as assistant general manager since July.
It’s unclear how Darryl’s resignation will affect the job status of his brother Brent, the team’s head coach. My guess is that Feaster might give him a good chunk of (if not the remaining portion) of this season to prove that he still deserves to be the club’s bench boss. That’s mere speculation, though.
Speaking of speculation, this move will obviously revive the trade rumor mill in Calgary. Will Feaster move Jarome Iginla or another big name? What moves does he have up his sleeve?
Whatever happens, it should be fun to watch … which is more than you could say for the Flames themselves lately.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)