Dec 28, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
During the 2004 Stanley Cup finals, the Tampa Bay Lightning – a team that Jay Feaster built – defeated the Calgary Flames. Now he’s in charge of rebuilding a Flames team that hasn’t been able to follow up that near-championship run.
That’s because Darryl Sutter stepped down from his perch as the Flames general manager today. To little surprise, the team also announced that Feaster will immediately take over the role after serving as assistant general manager since July.
It’s unclear how Darryl’s resignation will affect the job status of his brother Brent, the team’s head coach. My guess is that Feaster might give him a good chunk of (if not the remaining portion) of this season to prove that he still deserves to be the club’s bench boss. That’s mere speculation, though.
Speaking of speculation, this move will obviously revive the trade rumor mill in Calgary. Will Feaster move Jarome Iginla or another big name? What moves does he have up his sleeve?
Whatever happens, it should be fun to watch … which is more than you could say for the Flames themselves lately.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)