Dec 27, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
There often comes times throughout the year when a team needs a spark to ignite them into playing better. For the New Jersey Devils, they could use a spark like that once a week with how bad they’ve been but it is what it is right now.
Last night during the Devils’ game with the Maple Leafs, struggling superstar Ilya Kovalchuk was looking to light a fire under his teammates and got into a tussle with Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf. If you were expecting it to be a knockdown, drag-out slobber-knocker of a brawl between a frustrated star and a team captain… You’d be completely wrong.
Instead, what developed is the sort of fight that sets fights back 100 years. It’s the kind of fight the Marquess of Queensbury roll over in his grave hoping to never witness such a display again. It’s the kind of fight that seemed like a WWE scrap gone horribly wrong. Gaze upon it yourself.
I’m not quite sure if that’s a DDT or a dragon sleeper that Phaneuf earns the take down with but either way it’s ugly. All told there were zero punches landed and lots of jersey grabbing and pulling as well as poorly coordinated ice dancing. And to think, some people think fighting in hockey is barbaric. Shows what they know, sometimes it’s downright hilarious.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 2
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 7
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 8
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 51
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury