Dec 27, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
There often comes times throughout the year when a team needs a spark to ignite them into playing better. For the New Jersey Devils, they could use a spark like that once a week with how bad they’ve been but it is what it is right now.
Last night during the Devils’ game with the Maple Leafs, struggling superstar Ilya Kovalchuk was looking to light a fire under his teammates and got into a tussle with Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf. If you were expecting it to be a knockdown, drag-out slobber-knocker of a brawl between a frustrated star and a team captain… You’d be completely wrong.
Instead, what developed is the sort of fight that sets fights back 100 years. It’s the kind of fight the Marquess of Queensbury roll over in his grave hoping to never witness such a display again. It’s the kind of fight that seemed like a WWE scrap gone horribly wrong. Gaze upon it yourself.
I’m not quite sure if that’s a DDT or a dragon sleeper that Phaneuf earns the take down with but either way it’s ugly. All told there were zero punches landed and lots of jersey grabbing and pulling as well as poorly coordinated ice dancing. And to think, some people think fighting in hockey is barbaric. Shows what they know, sometimes it’s downright hilarious.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36