Dec 27, 2010, 6:24 PM EDT
Sometimes real life hits us in the NHL world and it shakes us up to remember that sometimes those involved in the game are still human. Today, the NHL and NHLPA jointly announced that Nashville Predators forward Jordin Tootoo was voluntarily entering the league’s substance abuse and behavioral health program.
Per the NHL release:
The National Hockey League Players’ Association and the National Hockey League announced today that forward Jordin Tootoo of the Nashville Predators has voluntarily entered in-patient care as part of the Joint NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program (SABH).
Tootoo’s care will be administered by SABH Program Doctors Dave Lewis (NHL) and Brian Shaw (NHLPA). Tootoo will continue to receive his full salary and benefits and will have no penalty imposed, provided he complies with his prescribed treatment and follow-up care program.
There will be no further comment.
The league’s program to help its players with any issues they’re having in their day-to-day life like this reminds us that they do care about getting guys right. Vancouver’s Rick Rypien has already taken a leave of absence from the team this year to seek assistance with any personal issues he’s having. Like with Rypien, Tootoo is a guy who plays the game on the edge with a nod towards more violent and aggressive play. We can only hope that Tootoo can get the help he needs and he comes out of it a better person and a better player because of it.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)