Dec 27, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Poor Buffalo. While I cannot say I’ve ever been to the place, it’s hard not to sympathize with its residents – at least from a sports standpoint.
Its NFL team – the Buffalo Bills – have gone from Scott Norwood missing a possible Super Bowl winning field goal* to losing three more Super Bowls in a variety of embarrassing ways to not being anywhere near competitive the last few years. (Let’s not forget the fact that they were the victims of the Music City Miracle as well.)
* – Although I do feel bad for him, because it wasn’t like that was an easy kick by any means.
If that wasn’t enough, their NHL team faced its fair share of crestfallen moments. Of course, there’s the Brett Hull crease goal, but beyond that they’ve dealt with the loss of Dominik Hasek, the too-short career of Pat LaFontaine and the aborted Daniel Briere/Chris Drury era.
In fact, the Buffalo Sabres are facing some bad luck this season too; from the injury of Derek Roy and a tough schedule (more on that later), the 2010-11 campaign seems to fit into the main theme of bad luck in Buffalo.
So this is my (lengthy) way of saying that it’s hard not to rush to the region’s defense when someone bad-mouths it, whether that person has a point or not. Twitter is currently abuzz over comments made by Anaheim Ducks prospect (and native Californian) Emerson Etem toward the host city of the 2011 World Junior Hockey Championships.
Here is a link to his comment and a screen capture of it, in case he decides to take it off Twitter to try to curb the controversy.
Oof, that’s harsh.
While many people are angry – and you cannot completely blame them – keep in mind Etem is young and grew up in the weather wonderland that is California. After all, much older and (you would think) wiser players such as Dan Ellis put their digital feet in their mouths on Twitter too.
That being said, Etem might face the prospect of being booed by local fans, even though he will skate for Team USA. It doesn’t get much odder than that, does it?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (60)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)