Dec 26, 2010, 2:34 PM EDT
One of the myriad compelling elements to HBO’s 24/7 coverage has been the behind the scenes looks at various banged up players, from the Washington Capitals’ flu victims to a tattooed Mike Green dealing with a knee injury and Evgeni Malkin‘s brief knee injury rehab.
Jordan Staal has gotten his fair share of screen time for not playing, as the lanky two-way forward hasn’t been able to play in a single game this season because of recurring issues from foot surgery and a broken hand.
While it still seems like a long shot possibility, there are some murmurs around Twitter and other corners of the hockey world that Staal might be able to play in the Winter Classic on New Year’s day Saturday. Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Staal returned to practice today and “didn’t rule out” the possibility that he might be able to make his way back for a contest that isn’t even a week away.
Yohe writes that there is no time table set on his return, though, and that he didn’t actually break his hand twice as many reported. We’ll keep you updated about Staal’s status as the week(s) progress.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)