Dec 26, 2010, 2:34 PM EST
One of the myriad compelling elements to HBO’s 24/7 coverage has been the behind the scenes looks at various banged up players, from the Washington Capitals’ flu victims to a tattooed Mike Green dealing with a knee injury and Evgeni Malkin‘s brief knee injury rehab.
Jordan Staal has gotten his fair share of screen time for not playing, as the lanky two-way forward hasn’t been able to play in a single game this season because of recurring issues from foot surgery and a broken hand.
While it still seems like a long shot possibility, there are some murmurs around Twitter and other corners of the hockey world that Staal might be able to play in the Winter Classic on New Year’s day Saturday. Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Staal returned to practice today and “didn’t rule out” the possibility that he might be able to make his way back for a contest that isn’t even a week away.
Yohe writes that there is no time table set on his return, though, and that he didn’t actually break his hand twice as many reported. We’ll keep you updated about Staal’s status as the week(s) progress.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)