Dec 26, 2010, 11:39 PM EDT
You’ll have to give Red Wings fans a break if they start having flashbacks to last season right about now. With a lineup that’s already without Mike Modano and Pavel Datsyuk, the Red Wings take another blow injury-wise tonight as Detroit’s leading goal scorer Dan Cleary is out indefinitely after breaking his ankle in tonight’s 4-0 win over Minnesota.
Cleary leads Detroit with 16 goals this year and even had one in tonight’s win, but now they’ll be without Cleary’s services for at least a few weeks. The Wings will call up youngster Jan Mursak from Grand Rapids to take Cleary’s spot in the lineup. With Modano out with a wrist injury and Datsyuk out with a broken hand, the Wings are starting to resemble a freak injury M.A.S.H. unit.
Fortunately for Detroit, they’ve seen Henrik Zetterberg step up his game since Datsyuk’s been out and Justin Abdelkader as well as the return of Kris Draper have softened the blow of losing Modano. Replacing Cleary will be much more difficult to do, however. It can’t hurt for Detroit to give Mursak a shot to see what he can do in the NHL, but this would make for a great chance for Jiri Hudler to break out of his season-long slump.
Update: Here’s video of how it went down. It’s just one of those things made even more difficult because it came off of Brad Stuart’s shot.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 0
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 31
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21