Dec 24, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Thursday night’s best save also might be its most controversial, which certainly makes it more fun to watch than just the standard jaw-dropper.
In case you didn’t see the much-hyped and much-discussed (but not as hyped or discussed as the upcoming Winter Classic) first game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, the Pens won via a Pascal Dupuis shootout goal.
One moment that won’t show up in the box scores could have made the game very different, though. Mike Green sent a shot that seemed to be destined for the Penguins’ goal in overtime, only Marc-Andre Fleury interfered.
… Or did he? That was the debate as the Toronto war room reviewed the goal for quite some time, but they ultimately decided it wasn’t because there was no way to tell if the puck crossed the red line since Fleury’s glove covered it up.
Check out video of the save (or non-save) of the night below.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)