Dec 24, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Thursday night’s best save also might be its most controversial, which certainly makes it more fun to watch than just the standard jaw-dropper.
In case you didn’t see the much-hyped and much-discussed (but not as hyped or discussed as the upcoming Winter Classic) first game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, the Pens won via a Pascal Dupuis shootout goal.
One moment that won’t show up in the box scores could have made the game very different, though. Mike Green sent a shot that seemed to be destined for the Penguins’ goal in overtime, only Marc-Andre Fleury interfered.
… Or did he? That was the debate as the Toronto war room reviewed the goal for quite some time, but they ultimately decided it wasn’t because there was no way to tell if the puck crossed the red line since Fleury’s glove covered it up.
Check out video of the save (or non-save) of the night below.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)