Dec 24, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Thursday night’s best save also might be its most controversial, which certainly makes it more fun to watch than just the standard jaw-dropper.
In case you didn’t see the much-hyped and much-discussed (but not as hyped or discussed as the upcoming Winter Classic) first game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, the Pens won via a Pascal Dupuis shootout goal.
One moment that won’t show up in the box scores could have made the game very different, though. Mike Green sent a shot that seemed to be destined for the Penguins’ goal in overtime, only Marc-Andre Fleury interfered.
… Or did he? That was the debate as the Toronto war room reviewed the goal for quite some time, but they ultimately decided it wasn’t because there was no way to tell if the puck crossed the red line since Fleury’s glove covered it up.
Check out video of the save (or non-save) of the night below.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)