Dec 24, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Thursday night’s best save also might be its most controversial, which certainly makes it more fun to watch than just the standard jaw-dropper.
In case you didn’t see the much-hyped and much-discussed (but not as hyped or discussed as the upcoming Winter Classic) first game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, the Pens won via a Pascal Dupuis shootout goal.
One moment that won’t show up in the box scores could have made the game very different, though. Mike Green sent a shot that seemed to be destined for the Penguins’ goal in overtime, only Marc-Andre Fleury interfered.
… Or did he? That was the debate as the Toronto war room reviewed the goal for quite some time, but they ultimately decided it wasn’t because there was no way to tell if the puck crossed the red line since Fleury’s glove covered it up.
Check out video of the save (or non-save) of the night below.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)