Dec 24, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Thursday night’s best save also might be its most controversial, which certainly makes it more fun to watch than just the standard jaw-dropper.
In case you didn’t see the much-hyped and much-discussed (but not as hyped or discussed as the upcoming Winter Classic) first game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals, the Pens won via a Pascal Dupuis shootout goal.
One moment that won’t show up in the box scores could have made the game very different, though. Mike Green sent a shot that seemed to be destined for the Penguins’ goal in overtime, only Marc-Andre Fleury interfered.
… Or did he? That was the debate as the Toronto war room reviewed the goal for quite some time, but they ultimately decided it wasn’t because there was no way to tell if the puck crossed the red line since Fleury’s glove covered it up.
Check out video of the save (or non-save) of the night below.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)