Dec 24, 2010, 2:54 AM EDT
Terrible news out of Colorado tonight: Elizabeth Turgeon, the 18-year-old daughter of former NHL player Pierre Turgeon, was killed in car crash that also left her passenger in critical condition, according to ABC 7 Denver as well as the Denver Post.
Elizabeth Turgeon was a member of the 2008 U.S. Women’s Under-18 team that won a gold medal and was signed to play for the University of Minnesota’s women’s team going forward.
ABC 7 shares the sad details of the accident that caused the death of Turgeon and injuries to her friend.
Investigators said Elizabeth Turgeon was driving a pickup truck that crashed into the trailer of a semi-truck at the intersection of U.S. Highway 54 and U.S. Highway 60 just after midnight.
Turgeon was pronounced dead at the scene while 18-year-old Brittany Kraemer of El Paso was transported to University of New Mexico Hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Police said dense fog is listed as a contributing factor in the crash as well as Turgeon’s failure to stop at the intersection.
Our hearts to go out to the Turgeon family as they deal with an awful situation.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)