Dec 24, 2010, 2:54 AM EDT
Terrible news out of Colorado tonight: Elizabeth Turgeon, the 18-year-old daughter of former NHL player Pierre Turgeon, was killed in car crash that also left her passenger in critical condition, according to ABC 7 Denver as well as the Denver Post.
Elizabeth Turgeon was a member of the 2008 U.S. Women’s Under-18 team that won a gold medal and was signed to play for the University of Minnesota’s women’s team going forward.
ABC 7 shares the sad details of the accident that caused the death of Turgeon and injuries to her friend.
Investigators said Elizabeth Turgeon was driving a pickup truck that crashed into the trailer of a semi-truck at the intersection of U.S. Highway 54 and U.S. Highway 60 just after midnight.
Turgeon was pronounced dead at the scene while 18-year-old Brittany Kraemer of El Paso was transported to University of New Mexico Hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Police said dense fog is listed as a contributing factor in the crash as well as Turgeon’s failure to stop at the intersection.
Our hearts to go out to the Turgeon family as they deal with an awful situation.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)