Dec 24, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
Boston’s Milan Lucic is looking at getting an extended Christmas vacation from the NHL. The Bruins power forward is already set to have a one-game suspension for receiving a match penalty for sucker punching Atlanta defenseman Freddy Meyer during last night’s Bruins win.
Lucic is set to meet with the NHL on Sunday for a disciplinary hearing with NHL vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. Murphy will conduct the hearing because of Colin Campbell’s son Gregory being a member of the Bruins. We hope you know the reasons why this is a big deal to make this clear by now.
Lucic was upset with Meyer after a questionable hit up high by the former Boston University standout. Meyer was jumped immediately by Andrew Ference and a full-on line brawl erupted. Nathan Horton and Evander Kane squared off separately meanwhile others came together in a scrum.
In that scrum, Lucic was pulled out by one of the officials when he punched Meyer in the side of the face while he wasn’t looking, dropping him to the ice. You can see video of that whole brouhaha here. We know the Bruins have been in a slide of late and they were looking for a spark to inspire the team, but they were already ahead 4-1 late in the game, at that point what in the world are the Bruins looking to rally around? Lucic may end up being made an example of for this.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 11
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 11
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 74
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)