Dec 24, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
Boston’s Milan Lucic is looking at getting an extended Christmas vacation from the NHL. The Bruins power forward is already set to have a one-game suspension for receiving a match penalty for sucker punching Atlanta defenseman Freddy Meyer during last night’s Bruins win.
Lucic is set to meet with the NHL on Sunday for a disciplinary hearing with NHL vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. Murphy will conduct the hearing because of Colin Campbell’s son Gregory being a member of the Bruins. We hope you know the reasons why this is a big deal to make this clear by now.
Lucic was upset with Meyer after a questionable hit up high by the former Boston University standout. Meyer was jumped immediately by Andrew Ference and a full-on line brawl erupted. Nathan Horton and Evander Kane squared off separately meanwhile others came together in a scrum.
In that scrum, Lucic was pulled out by one of the officials when he punched Meyer in the side of the face while he wasn’t looking, dropping him to the ice. You can see video of that whole brouhaha here. We know the Bruins have been in a slide of late and they were looking for a spark to inspire the team, but they were already ahead 4-1 late in the game, at that point what in the world are the Bruins looking to rally around? Lucic may end up being made an example of for this.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)