Dec 24, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
Boston’s Milan Lucic is looking at getting an extended Christmas vacation from the NHL. The Bruins power forward is already set to have a one-game suspension for receiving a match penalty for sucker punching Atlanta defenseman Freddy Meyer during last night’s Bruins win.
Lucic is set to meet with the NHL on Sunday for a disciplinary hearing with NHL vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. Murphy will conduct the hearing because of Colin Campbell’s son Gregory being a member of the Bruins. We hope you know the reasons why this is a big deal to make this clear by now.
Lucic was upset with Meyer after a questionable hit up high by the former Boston University standout. Meyer was jumped immediately by Andrew Ference and a full-on line brawl erupted. Nathan Horton and Evander Kane squared off separately meanwhile others came together in a scrum.
In that scrum, Lucic was pulled out by one of the officials when he punched Meyer in the side of the face while he wasn’t looking, dropping him to the ice. You can see video of that whole brouhaha here. We know the Bruins have been in a slide of late and they were looking for a spark to inspire the team, but they were already ahead 4-1 late in the game, at that point what in the world are the Bruins looking to rally around? Lucic may end up being made an example of for this.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)