Dec 24, 2010, 2:37 PM EST
Boston’s Milan Lucic is looking at getting an extended Christmas vacation from the NHL. The Bruins power forward is already set to have a one-game suspension for receiving a match penalty for sucker punching Atlanta defenseman Freddy Meyer during last night’s Bruins win.
Lucic is set to meet with the NHL on Sunday for a disciplinary hearing with NHL vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. Murphy will conduct the hearing because of Colin Campbell’s son Gregory being a member of the Bruins. We hope you know the reasons why this is a big deal to make this clear by now.
Lucic was upset with Meyer after a questionable hit up high by the former Boston University standout. Meyer was jumped immediately by Andrew Ference and a full-on line brawl erupted. Nathan Horton and Evander Kane squared off separately meanwhile others came together in a scrum.
In that scrum, Lucic was pulled out by one of the officials when he punched Meyer in the side of the face while he wasn’t looking, dropping him to the ice. You can see video of that whole brouhaha here. We know the Bruins have been in a slide of late and they were looking for a spark to inspire the team, but they were already ahead 4-1 late in the game, at that point what in the world are the Bruins looking to rally around? Lucic may end up being made an example of for this.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)