Dec 24, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
Boston’s Milan Lucic is looking at getting an extended Christmas vacation from the NHL. The Bruins power forward is already set to have a one-game suspension for receiving a match penalty for sucker punching Atlanta defenseman Freddy Meyer during last night’s Bruins win.
Lucic is set to meet with the NHL on Sunday for a disciplinary hearing with NHL vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. Murphy will conduct the hearing because of Colin Campbell’s son Gregory being a member of the Bruins. We hope you know the reasons why this is a big deal to make this clear by now.
Lucic was upset with Meyer after a questionable hit up high by the former Boston University standout. Meyer was jumped immediately by Andrew Ference and a full-on line brawl erupted. Nathan Horton and Evander Kane squared off separately meanwhile others came together in a scrum.
In that scrum, Lucic was pulled out by one of the officials when he punched Meyer in the side of the face while he wasn’t looking, dropping him to the ice. You can see video of that whole brouhaha here. We know the Bruins have been in a slide of late and they were looking for a spark to inspire the team, but they were already ahead 4-1 late in the game, at that point what in the world are the Bruins looking to rally around? Lucic may end up being made an example of for this.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)