Dec 24, 2010, 6:09 PM EST
With the 2011 World Junior Championships set to get under way on Sunday in Buffalo, Team USA took care of one final piece of business before the games get going. Today they named the captains of the team and if you followed last year’s gold medal winning squad these names will sound familiar.
University of Wisconsin defenseman John Ramage was tapped to be the captain of the team with Rangers prospect Ryan Bourque and Chicago Blackhawks forward Jeremy Morin named as assistants. These three players make up three of eight returnees from last year’s championship team looking to repeat.
Ideally, the tournament sets up so that Team USA and Team Canada will face off against each other for the gold medal. Team Canada is captained by Predators prospect Ryan Ellis and is assisted by Islanders prospect Calvin de Haan, Senators prospect Jared Cowen, and Los Angeles Kings up and down prospect Brayden Schenn. Don’t let the media out of Canada fool you into thinking this is a “blue collar” team, Canada is very good and has top draft picks all throughout the roster.
Team USA opens up against Finland at 8 pm on Sunday night. Canada starts the tournament off against Russia on Sunday at 4:00 pm.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)