Dec 24, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
With the 2011 World Junior Championships set to get under way on Sunday in Buffalo, Team USA took care of one final piece of business before the games get going. Today they named the captains of the team and if you followed last year’s gold medal winning squad these names will sound familiar.
University of Wisconsin defenseman John Ramage was tapped to be the captain of the team with Rangers prospect Ryan Bourque and Chicago Blackhawks forward Jeremy Morin named as assistants. These three players make up three of eight returnees from last year’s championship team looking to repeat.
Ideally, the tournament sets up so that Team USA and Team Canada will face off against each other for the gold medal. Team Canada is captained by Predators prospect Ryan Ellis and is assisted by Islanders prospect Calvin de Haan, Senators prospect Jared Cowen, and Los Angeles Kings up and down prospect Brayden Schenn. Don’t let the media out of Canada fool you into thinking this is a “blue collar” team, Canada is very good and has top draft picks all throughout the roster.
Team USA opens up against Finland at 8 pm on Sunday night. Canada starts the tournament off against Russia on Sunday at 4:00 pm.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)