Dec 24, 2010, 6:09 PM EST
With the 2011 World Junior Championships set to get under way on Sunday in Buffalo, Team USA took care of one final piece of business before the games get going. Today they named the captains of the team and if you followed last year’s gold medal winning squad these names will sound familiar.
University of Wisconsin defenseman John Ramage was tapped to be the captain of the team with Rangers prospect Ryan Bourque and Chicago Blackhawks forward Jeremy Morin named as assistants. These three players make up three of eight returnees from last year’s championship team looking to repeat.
Ideally, the tournament sets up so that Team USA and Team Canada will face off against each other for the gold medal. Team Canada is captained by Predators prospect Ryan Ellis and is assisted by Islanders prospect Calvin de Haan, Senators prospect Jared Cowen, and Los Angeles Kings up and down prospect Brayden Schenn. Don’t let the media out of Canada fool you into thinking this is a “blue collar” team, Canada is very good and has top draft picks all throughout the roster.
Team USA opens up against Finland at 8 pm on Sunday night. Canada starts the tournament off against Russia on Sunday at 4:00 pm.
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 0
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 24
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 42
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Varlamov expected to enter plea on Jan. 22 7
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (43)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)