Dec 24, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
With the 2011 World Junior Championships set to get under way on Sunday in Buffalo, Team USA took care of one final piece of business before the games get going. Today they named the captains of the team and if you followed last year’s gold medal winning squad these names will sound familiar.
University of Wisconsin defenseman John Ramage was tapped to be the captain of the team with Rangers prospect Ryan Bourque and Chicago Blackhawks forward Jeremy Morin named as assistants. These three players make up three of eight returnees from last year’s championship team looking to repeat.
Ideally, the tournament sets up so that Team USA and Team Canada will face off against each other for the gold medal. Team Canada is captained by Predators prospect Ryan Ellis and is assisted by Islanders prospect Calvin de Haan, Senators prospect Jared Cowen, and Los Angeles Kings up and down prospect Brayden Schenn. Don’t let the media out of Canada fool you into thinking this is a “blue collar” team, Canada is very good and has top draft picks all throughout the roster.
Team USA opens up against Finland at 8 pm on Sunday night. Canada starts the tournament off against Russia on Sunday at 4:00 pm.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 16
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 44
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control