Dec 24, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
With the 2011 World Junior Championships set to get under way on Sunday in Buffalo, Team USA took care of one final piece of business before the games get going. Today they named the captains of the team and if you followed last year’s gold medal winning squad these names will sound familiar.
University of Wisconsin defenseman John Ramage was tapped to be the captain of the team with Rangers prospect Ryan Bourque and Chicago Blackhawks forward Jeremy Morin named as assistants. These three players make up three of eight returnees from last year’s championship team looking to repeat.
Ideally, the tournament sets up so that Team USA and Team Canada will face off against each other for the gold medal. Team Canada is captained by Predators prospect Ryan Ellis and is assisted by Islanders prospect Calvin de Haan, Senators prospect Jared Cowen, and Los Angeles Kings up and down prospect Brayden Schenn. Don’t let the media out of Canada fool you into thinking this is a “blue collar” team, Canada is very good and has top draft picks all throughout the roster.
Team USA opens up against Finland at 8 pm on Sunday night. Canada starts the tournament off against Russia on Sunday at 4:00 pm.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)