Dec 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
We’ve marveled at star players getting into fights lately, even if they vary in credibility. From the Sidney Crosby-Matt Niskanen and Alex Ovechkin‘s skirmishes discussed during episode of 2 of HBO’s 24/7 series to Pavel Datsyuk taking on Corey Perry, it’s been surprising to see some of the league’s most talented players use their hands for something other than scoring goals.
Yet when we watch those fights, it’s with the understanding that those guys don’t fight for a living. In other words, we give these players the benefit of the doubt even if they’re not very good at it.
No “good for star player” qualifiers are necessary when you see a battle like the one between Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla and budding Dallas Stars power forward Jamie Benn last night. It was an absolutely brutal fight, the kind of exchange of fisticuffs you’d expect to see from enforcers.
The photo of Iginla’s eye below might make you think that Benn won the fight handily, but some think it’s a coincidental (but gory) thing. Either way, it’s awesome and gnarly. (And also proof that Iginla isn’t a Terminator robot, because his cyborg exoskeleton would show through. I think.)
Awesome. Take a look and see how he got that nasty wound in the video below. It seems like there isn’t a consensus winner for the Benn-Iginla fight at HockeyFights.com right now, so feel free to share your feelings about who the winner was in the comments.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)