Dec 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
We’ve marveled at star players getting into fights lately, even if they vary in credibility. From the Sidney Crosby-Matt Niskanen and Alex Ovechkin‘s skirmishes discussed during episode of 2 of HBO’s 24/7 series to Pavel Datsyuk taking on Corey Perry, it’s been surprising to see some of the league’s most talented players use their hands for something other than scoring goals.
Yet when we watch those fights, it’s with the understanding that those guys don’t fight for a living. In other words, we give these players the benefit of the doubt even if they’re not very good at it.
No “good for star player” qualifiers are necessary when you see a battle like the one between Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla and budding Dallas Stars power forward Jamie Benn last night. It was an absolutely brutal fight, the kind of exchange of fisticuffs you’d expect to see from enforcers.
The photo of Iginla’s eye below might make you think that Benn won the fight handily, but some think it’s a coincidental (but gory) thing. Either way, it’s awesome and gnarly. (And also proof that Iginla isn’t a Terminator robot, because his cyborg exoskeleton would show through. I think.)
Awesome. Take a look and see how he got that nasty wound in the video below. It seems like there isn’t a consensus winner for the Benn-Iginla fight at HockeyFights.com right now, so feel free to share your feelings about who the winner was in the comments.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5