Dec 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
We’ve marveled at star players getting into fights lately, even if they vary in credibility. From the Sidney Crosby-Matt Niskanen and Alex Ovechkin‘s skirmishes discussed during episode of 2 of HBO’s 24/7 series to Pavel Datsyuk taking on Corey Perry, it’s been surprising to see some of the league’s most talented players use their hands for something other than scoring goals.
Yet when we watch those fights, it’s with the understanding that those guys don’t fight for a living. In other words, we give these players the benefit of the doubt even if they’re not very good at it.
No “good for star player” qualifiers are necessary when you see a battle like the one between Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla and budding Dallas Stars power forward Jamie Benn last night. It was an absolutely brutal fight, the kind of exchange of fisticuffs you’d expect to see from enforcers.
The photo of Iginla’s eye below might make you think that Benn won the fight handily, but some think it’s a coincidental (but gory) thing. Either way, it’s awesome and gnarly. (And also proof that Iginla isn’t a Terminator robot, because his cyborg exoskeleton would show through. I think.)
Awesome. Take a look and see how he got that nasty wound in the video below. It seems like there isn’t a consensus winner for the Benn-Iginla fight at HockeyFights.com right now, so feel free to share your feelings about who the winner was in the comments.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 1
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 34
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 22
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)