Dec 24, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
We’ve marveled at star players getting into fights lately, even if they vary in credibility. From the Sidney Crosby-Matt Niskanen and Alex Ovechkin‘s skirmishes discussed during episode of 2 of HBO’s 24/7 series to Pavel Datsyuk taking on Corey Perry, it’s been surprising to see some of the league’s most talented players use their hands for something other than scoring goals.
Yet when we watch those fights, it’s with the understanding that those guys don’t fight for a living. In other words, we give these players the benefit of the doubt even if they’re not very good at it.
No “good for star player” qualifiers are necessary when you see a battle like the one between Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla and budding Dallas Stars power forward Jamie Benn last night. It was an absolutely brutal fight, the kind of exchange of fisticuffs you’d expect to see from enforcers.
The photo of Iginla’s eye below might make you think that Benn won the fight handily, but some think it’s a coincidental (but gory) thing. Either way, it’s awesome and gnarly. (And also proof that Iginla isn’t a Terminator robot, because his cyborg exoskeleton would show through. I think.)
Awesome. Take a look and see how he got that nasty wound in the video below. It seems like there isn’t a consensus winner for the Benn-Iginla fight at HockeyFights.com right now, so feel free to share your feelings about who the winner was in the comments.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)