Dec 23, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
This is a perfect opportunity for Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Dan Ellis.
It might seem sinister (maybe macabre?) for an athlete to benefit from another athlete’s injury, but that’s the sobering reality facing many people in sports. Just ask former NFL quarterback/television dancer Kurt Warner, who rode Trent Green’s injury to a Super Bowl sensation many moons ago.
All season long, the team’s starting job has essentially been up for grabs. Still, at the same time, the leash has been short for both Ellis and other 1a/1b partner Mike Smith (the Trent Green of this situation). Yet with Smith’s injury, Ellis has a window in which one bad start isn’t likely to kick him out of the net.
So, the question is: will Ellis grab hold of this opportunity or will it go to a rotation, Smith or (dare I ask) Evgeni Nabokov? That hasn’t been decided at this point by any means, but while he didn’t win against the lowly New York Islanders, he stopped all but two shots.
Two of those saves were quite impressive, so I thought I’d provide both for you this morning. The first one is my favorite, by the way.
Save number one:
Save number two:
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)