Dec 23, 2010, 12:44 AM EST
For a recap of the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 5-2 win against the Florida Panthers, click here. Read this post to find out about Pavel Datsyuk‘s broken hand and Henrik Zetterberg‘s great performance against the Vancouver Canucks.
Now let’s take a look at the other two games with these summaries.
The Lightning had a chance to take the Southeast Division lead with a win tonight, but they lost to the sad sack Islanders in overtime and therefore find themselves one point behind the Washington Capitals. John Tavares ended up being the night’s hero, as he scored the game-winner in overtime. Tavares also assisted on the game-tying tally by P.A. Parenteau.
It didn’t look like the Long Island bunch were even going to be in the game after the first period. The Lightning out-shot the Islanders 16-3 in the first period, but Dwayne Roloson kept his team in the game by only allowing a Ryan Malone power-play goal.
That would end up being the last goal produced by that high-powered offense, as Roloson earned his first win since October by making 34 out of 35 saves. Dan Ellis was solid too, making 26 out of 28 saves, but was not good enough to beat the lowly Isles on this night.
How about this for a telling number during the Blackhawks’ three-game winning streak: they’ve only allowed three opportunities in three contests. Sometimes the simplest numbers really do tell you what you need to know.
Jack Skille scored two goals, Dave Bolland had a goal and an assist and Corey Crawford stopped 24 out of 25 shots to help Chicago beat their division rivals from Nashville.
Both Bolland (12 out of 17) and Jonathan Toews (12 out of 20) were outstanding in the faceoff circle, one of those things that pleases a hockey dork such as myself.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)