Dec 23, 2010, 7:45 PM EST
Last night, we discussed the dreaded return of Marian Gaborik’s boogeyman (not to be confused with the possibly soon-to-be-returning Derek Boogaard), aka his recurring groin problems. Considering how much trouble he’s had for many years, it was natural for Rangers fans to get a little worried.
(Even if Gaborik’s loss means the gain of Mats Zuccarello, a guy whose nickname is “The Norwegian Hobbit Wizard.”)
Well, if you trust John Tortorella, it sounds like Gaborik’s groin problems are minor. In fact, the Rangers coach believes that he could be back in the team’s lineup as soon as Monday’s game against the New York Islanders. Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants has the story.
Gross also writes that enforcer Derek Boogaard is making good progress in his recovery from concussion issues, although he won’t be cleared to play any time sooner than his upcoming neurologist visit on Tuesday.
Gaborik has been undergoing treatment on his sore groin – it was starting to nag him prior to Monday’s intensive practice and he came in Wednesday saying he couldn’t skate – and also underwent acupuncture today. Tortorella said because of the spread-out schedule with two days off after tonight for Christmas, Gaborik should be ready to return when the team resumes practicing (on Sunday) and playing. Tortorella also shot down the idea that Gaborik, with just one goal in his past eight games, has been playing through an injury.
“He’s trying to get it taken care of,” Tortorella said. “I don’t think it’s been a long-term thing.”
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 12
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 29
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11