Dec 23, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Something had to give in New Jersey. The team had an NHL-worst 20 points in the standings and seemed lost on the ice of late getting blown out by Atlanta and Washington in back-to-back games. Today, coach John MacLean faced the music and was fired after getting the Devils off to a 9-22-2 start.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello made the call this morning to relieve MacLean of his duties and with the team set to face the New York Islanders tonight, a familiar face from the past is set to return to take over as Jacques Lemaire will be named interim head coach. Lemaire retired in the spring after leading the Devils to the playoffs last year. Lemaire, of course, is famous for leading the Devils to their first Stanley Cup title back in 1995.
For MacLean, this end was inevitable with how badly the team played. Lamoriello understood that there were a lot of injuries to the team and it made it difficult to judge how well exactly the team was being coached. Lately though the team has looked disinterested and unmotivated and it showed on the scoreboard.
Bringing Lemaire and his notoriously tight defensive game plan, one that everyone on the team is familiar with by now, will at least help the low scoring Devils hang around better in games. It won’t look exciting, but the Devils may stand a better chance at winning. As it is, the Devils are well out of a playoff position sitting 18 points out of the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference.
If anyone can help get the Devils turned around now it’s Lemaire, but he’s not the permanent solution he’s merely the guy to get the team turned around now until Lamoriello can find the guy he thinks fits best. You can count on Michel Therrien and, former favorite head coach of Ilya Kovalchuk, Bob Hartley to be considerations.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)