Zetterberg comes up big as Detroit beats Vancouver in OT; Datsyuk likely out four weeks with broken hand
Dec 22, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
(Datsyuk injury update via NHL on the Fly and the Associated Press: he’s likely to miss about four weeks with a broken hand. Ouch.)
Jared Leto’s hockey body double helped the Red Wings win a well-matched game against the Vancouver Canucks. His numbers were great (two goals and one assist), but most importantly he assisted on Nicklas Lidstrom’s game-tying power-play goal and then won the game with a goal in overtime.
It was a see-saw matchup, with the Red Wings scoring first and the Canucks taking 3-2 and 4-3 leads before Detroit scored twice to win the game.
Zetterberg was the night’s biggest star with game-winner and three points, but Ryan Kesler (three assists), Henrik Sedin (one goal and one assist) and Dany Cleary (one goal and one assist) also came up big in an entertaining bout.
While neither goalie put up great numbers, each one was challenged frequently. Jimmy Howard (35 out of 39 saves) squeaked by Roberto Luongo (40 for 45) to earn his 18th win of the season.
With this win, the Red Wings solidified their place atop the West with 46 points while the Canucks have one point lead over the Avs in the Northwest thanks to the charity point and also hold two games in hand over Colorado.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18