Zetterberg comes up big as Detroit beats Vancouver in OT; Datsyuk likely out four weeks with broken hand
Dec 22, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
(Datsyuk injury update via NHL on the Fly and the Associated Press: he’s likely to miss about four weeks with a broken hand. Ouch.)
Jared Leto’s hockey body double helped the Red Wings win a well-matched game against the Vancouver Canucks. His numbers were great (two goals and one assist), but most importantly he assisted on Nicklas Lidstrom’s game-tying power-play goal and then won the game with a goal in overtime.
It was a see-saw matchup, with the Red Wings scoring first and the Canucks taking 3-2 and 4-3 leads before Detroit scored twice to win the game.
Zetterberg was the night’s biggest star with game-winner and three points, but Ryan Kesler (three assists), Henrik Sedin (one goal and one assist) and Dany Cleary (one goal and one assist) also came up big in an entertaining bout.
While neither goalie put up great numbers, each one was challenged frequently. Jimmy Howard (35 out of 39 saves) squeaked by Roberto Luongo (40 for 45) to earn his 18th win of the season.
With this win, the Red Wings solidified their place atop the West with 46 points while the Canucks have one point lead over the Avs in the Northwest thanks to the charity point and also hold two games in hand over Colorado.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)