Zetterberg comes up big as Detroit beats Vancouver in OT; Datsyuk likely out four weeks with broken hand
Dec 22, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
(Datsyuk injury update via NHL on the Fly and the Associated Press: he’s likely to miss about four weeks with a broken hand. Ouch.)
Jared Leto’s hockey body double helped the Red Wings win a well-matched game against the Vancouver Canucks. His numbers were great (two goals and one assist), but most importantly he assisted on Nicklas Lidstrom’s game-tying power-play goal and then won the game with a goal in overtime.
It was a see-saw matchup, with the Red Wings scoring first and the Canucks taking 3-2 and 4-3 leads before Detroit scored twice to win the game.
Zetterberg was the night’s biggest star with game-winner and three points, but Ryan Kesler (three assists), Henrik Sedin (one goal and one assist) and Dany Cleary (one goal and one assist) also came up big in an entertaining bout.
While neither goalie put up great numbers, each one was challenged frequently. Jimmy Howard (35 out of 39 saves) squeaked by Roberto Luongo (40 for 45) to earn his 18th win of the season.
With this win, the Red Wings solidified their place atop the West with 46 points while the Canucks have one point lead over the Avs in the Northwest thanks to the charity point and also hold two games in hand over Colorado.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 30
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)