Zetterberg comes up big as Detroit beats Vancouver in OT; Datsyuk likely out four weeks with broken hand
Dec 22, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
(Datsyuk injury update via NHL on the Fly and the Associated Press: he’s likely to miss about four weeks with a broken hand. Ouch.)
Jared Leto’s hockey body double helped the Red Wings win a well-matched game against the Vancouver Canucks. His numbers were great (two goals and one assist), but most importantly he assisted on Nicklas Lidstrom’s game-tying power-play goal and then won the game with a goal in overtime.
It was a see-saw matchup, with the Red Wings scoring first and the Canucks taking 3-2 and 4-3 leads before Detroit scored twice to win the game.
Zetterberg was the night’s biggest star with game-winner and three points, but Ryan Kesler (three assists), Henrik Sedin (one goal and one assist) and Dany Cleary (one goal and one assist) also came up big in an entertaining bout.
While neither goalie put up great numbers, each one was challenged frequently. Jimmy Howard (35 out of 39 saves) squeaked by Roberto Luongo (40 for 45) to earn his 18th win of the season.
With this win, the Red Wings solidified their place atop the West with 46 points while the Canucks have one point lead over the Avs in the Northwest thanks to the charity point and also hold two games in hand over Colorado.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)