Dec 22, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
The 2011 World Junior Championships are coming up fast and today Team USA named their 22-man roster for the tournament that begins on December 26th. Team USA head coach Keith Allain (who’s also Yale University’s head coach) had some tough decisions to make for what should be an overly talented U.S. squad.
Chicago Blackhawks Jeremy Morin and Nick Leddy highlight the United States team as do a handful of returners from last year’s gold medal-winning squad. Kyle Palmieri of the Ducks, Leafs prospect Jerry D’Amigo (pictured), Stars prospect goalie Jack Campbell, and Rangers prospects Ryan Bourque and Chris Kreider all serve to help the United States try to repeat as the top junior squad in the world.
Guys like Wild prospect Jason Zucker, Ducks prospect Emerson Etem, and Sharks prospect Charlie Coyle figure to be guys that will make their presence felt during the two week long event. University of Michigan and Coyotes prospect Chris Brown will have a sniper-like shot for opponents to be aware of at all times. As for the rest of the team, the full roster can be viewed here.
As always, Team Canada figures to be the biggest challenge but with Canada and the United States being in different groups in the first round, there’s the possibility that the two countries might not face each other until the finals. That might be a little bit of fun.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)