Dec 22, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
There were some worries that the Vancouver Canucks would have to make a tough salary cap related decision or two soon with the impending return of hard-shooting defenseman Sami Salo, but reports indicate that he probably won’t be back until February.
Salo has been dealing with a mysterious Achilles tendon injury that occurred sometime during the summer’s off-season months.
The Canucks are right at the salary cap ceiling as of this moment, so the big story is that the team will need to move salary to accommodate the return of the often injured Swedish blueliner.
Salo’s cap hit is $3.5 million while Kevin Bieska – the most common target of trade rumors – makes $3.75 million, so it makes sense that the two players may eventually play a game of salary cap musical chairs.
You can’t help but wonder how the salary cap challenges the Canucks are facing plays into all of this. The Canucks will have to dump a significant chunk of salary to make room for Salo and may be forced to trade a defenceman, likely Kevin Bieksa.
Bieksa is playing well and the team has been on a nice run, so there is obviously no urgency to get Salo back. But it was interesting to note that both head coach Alain Vigneault and associate coach Rick Bowness both referred to Salo as the team’s best defenceman in recent days.
It will be fun to see how this one plays out.
Personally, I’d rather rely on a guy who is likely to play most games like Bieksa than Salo, who ranks among the NHL’s most fragile defensemen.
Either way, it might be another month or two before this storyline works itself out. We’ll keep you updated, as always.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 23
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)