Dec 22, 2010, 11:01 PM EDT
The greatest gift for the New York Rangers over the Christmas weekend break might not be a bow-adorned Lexus or some electronic gadget, but rather a few days of rest. They certainly seem like a banged-up bunch judging from a report by Jeff Z. Klein of the New York Times Slap Shot blog.
Surely the biggest story is that Marian Gaborik didn’t play during today’s practice and is expected to miss Thursday’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning because of groin problems. Gaborik is renowned around the hockey world for two dramatically different things: being an all-world talent yet often being unable to share his gifts due to constant injury problems. He’s already missed 13 games this season because of flu and shoulder ailments, but his most common snag has been groin injuries. He missed much of the 2005-06, 06-07 and 08-09 seasons because of those issues.
Rangers coach John Tortorella said he doesn’t think it’s serious, but it’s still tough not to get squeamish when you hear about Gaborik dealing with such problems yet again.
On the bright side, Mats Zuccarello – a man with an astounding nickname: “The Norwegian Hobbit Wizard” – was called up to replace some of Gaborik’s offense. His nickname comes from his talent, but also his below-NHL-standard size because he stands only 5-foot-7 tall. Klein writes that Tortorella “hopes to get him in offensive situations.”
There are some other injury situations in the Big Apple, so let me leave those to Klein.
Defenseman Michael Del Zotto, who has a stomach illness, will also miss Thursday’s game. Tortorella said Matt Gilroy would take Del Zotto’s roster spot.
Forward Vinny Prospal skated in a full practice for the first time since having an operation on his right knee in October. He said he found it difficult.
“When we were doing three-on-twos and game situation stuff, it was way too fast for me,” Prospal said.
Prospal, Tortorella said, “stunk today, but that’s to be expected.”
Tortorella said he hoped to have Prospal back in mid-January.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)