Dec 21, 2010, 1:19 AM EST
For most guys on the verge of turning 21-years-old, it’s a solid achievement to decide on a major in college or earn an assistant manager job somewhere.
In case you haven’t been paying attention, Steve Stamkos isn’t like most almost-21-year-old men. The sublime sniper hit the 100-goal mark before he could legally purchase a beer tonight, as the Tampa Bay Lightning took second place in the Southeast Division by defeating the Carolina Hurricanes with a 5-1 score.
Stamkos became the sixth youngest player to reach the 100 goal milestone tonight, according to NHL.com. The five other players to score that many goals before they turned 21 were: Wayne Gretzky, Jimmy Carson, Brian Bellows, Dale Hawerchuk and Ilya Kovalchuk.
(Interesting that Carson – aka the biggest chip in the notorious Gretzky trade – hit the 100-goal mark at such a young age. It’s hard not to feel bad for the guy.)
It may not be a typical one-timer/laser beam goal, but feel free to check out the video of Stamkos crossing the century mark below.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)