Dec 21, 2010, 1:19 AM EDT
For most guys on the verge of turning 21-years-old, it’s a solid achievement to decide on a major in college or earn an assistant manager job somewhere.
In case you haven’t been paying attention, Steve Stamkos isn’t like most almost-21-year-old men. The sublime sniper hit the 100-goal mark before he could legally purchase a beer tonight, as the Tampa Bay Lightning took second place in the Southeast Division by defeating the Carolina Hurricanes with a 5-1 score.
Stamkos became the sixth youngest player to reach the 100 goal milestone tonight, according to NHL.com. The five other players to score that many goals before they turned 21 were: Wayne Gretzky, Jimmy Carson, Brian Bellows, Dale Hawerchuk and Ilya Kovalchuk.
(Interesting that Carson – aka the biggest chip in the notorious Gretzky trade – hit the 100-goal mark at such a young age. It’s hard not to feel bad for the guy.)
It may not be a typical one-timer/laser beam goal, but feel free to check out the video of Stamkos crossing the century mark below.
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 15
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 66
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 33
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 9
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)