Dec 21, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
(I wanted to give Sunday’s award to Jonas Hiller as sort of a “nightly achievement” award, but this clip is so much more entertaining.)
Sometimes a defenseman makes such a great play that he invades the normally (and logically) goalie-dominated save of the night award. One example is Colin White’s goal saving stick work from a few weeks ago.
This one is really stretching the boundaries of a “save” but with no stops truly standing out on Sunday, I thought that Marek Zidlicky’s great stick-less work was worthy of the December 20th award.
Perhaps it should be called the “Best Blocked Pass of the Night” but that just doesn’t roll off the tongue in the same way. So let’s pretend that was a shot instead of an attempted one-timer and just bask in the glow of Zidlicky’s heads up play.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)