Dec 21, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
(I wanted to give Sunday’s award to Jonas Hiller as sort of a “nightly achievement” award, but this clip is so much more entertaining.)
Sometimes a defenseman makes such a great play that he invades the normally (and logically) goalie-dominated save of the night award. One example is Colin White’s goal saving stick work from a few weeks ago.
This one is really stretching the boundaries of a “save” but with no stops truly standing out on Sunday, I thought that Marek Zidlicky’s great stick-less work was worthy of the December 20th award.
Perhaps it should be called the “Best Blocked Pass of the Night” but that just doesn’t roll off the tongue in the same way. So let’s pretend that was a shot instead of an attempted one-timer and just bask in the glow of Zidlicky’s heads up play.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 14
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33