Dec 21, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
(I wanted to give Sunday’s award to Jonas Hiller as sort of a “nightly achievement” award, but this clip is so much more entertaining.)
Sometimes a defenseman makes such a great play that he invades the normally (and logically) goalie-dominated save of the night award. One example is Colin White’s goal saving stick work from a few weeks ago.
This one is really stretching the boundaries of a “save” but with no stops truly standing out on Sunday, I thought that Marek Zidlicky’s great stick-less work was worthy of the December 20th award.
Perhaps it should be called the “Best Blocked Pass of the Night” but that just doesn’t roll off the tongue in the same way. So let’s pretend that was a shot instead of an attempted one-timer and just bask in the glow of Zidlicky’s heads up play.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)