Dec 21, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
(I wanted to give Sunday’s award to Jonas Hiller as sort of a “nightly achievement” award, but this clip is so much more entertaining.)
Sometimes a defenseman makes such a great play that he invades the normally (and logically) goalie-dominated save of the night award. One example is Colin White’s goal saving stick work from a few weeks ago.
This one is really stretching the boundaries of a “save” but with no stops truly standing out on Sunday, I thought that Marek Zidlicky’s great stick-less work was worthy of the December 20th award.
Perhaps it should be called the “Best Blocked Pass of the Night” but that just doesn’t roll off the tongue in the same way. So let’s pretend that was a shot instead of an attempted one-timer and just bask in the glow of Zidlicky’s heads up play.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)