Dec 21, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
(I wanted to give Sunday’s award to Jonas Hiller as sort of a “nightly achievement” award, but this clip is so much more entertaining.)
Sometimes a defenseman makes such a great play that he invades the normally (and logically) goalie-dominated save of the night award. One example is Colin White’s goal saving stick work from a few weeks ago.
This one is really stretching the boundaries of a “save” but with no stops truly standing out on Sunday, I thought that Marek Zidlicky’s great stick-less work was worthy of the December 20th award.
Perhaps it should be called the “Best Blocked Pass of the Night” but that just doesn’t roll off the tongue in the same way. So let’s pretend that was a shot instead of an attempted one-timer and just bask in the glow of Zidlicky’s heads up play.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)