Quick hits: Leafs’ outdoor practice, Czech-German WJC game postponed, Fowler becomes a human X-Mas tree
Dec 21, 2010, 8:15 PM EST
Here are some quick hits from the hockey world that weren’t quite beefy enough for full posts.
- It seems like the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals (and Michigan-Michigan State “Big Chill” teams) aren’t the only hockey clubs that are getting into the spirit of outdoor hockey over the holidays. The Toronto Maple Leafs will reportedly hold an outdoor practice tomorrow (Wednesday, December 22nd) beginning at 10:45 a.m.
Here’s some info about the event from the team’s press release.
The Toronto Maple Leafs, RONA and Toronto Parks, Forestry & Recreation will unveil upgrades and refurbishments made to Trinity Bellwoods Outdoor Rink as part of the MLSE Team Up Foundation Rink Refurbishment Program. In recognition of the program, the Leafs will hold their annual outdoor practice at the Trinity Bellwoods rink.
The practice will be followed by two Learn to Skate Clinics – the first for local kids and the second for new Canadians. The day will conclude with a community skate at 2:15.
- In a strange turn of events, Sunday’s World Junior Championships game between the Czech Republic and Germany has been postponed because Germany’s equipment is MIA. The game has been pushed back to Thursday and apparently the Swedish and Norwegian teams are facing similar issues.
- While the Anaheim Ducks won’t top the San Jose Sharks’ holiday celebration, they also provided a little good-natured Yuletide humor. Check out this video of the team treating rookie defenseman Cam Fowler like a human Christmas tree, surely one of the many moments of rookie hazing the young player must deal with as a member of team full of numerous rascals and rapscallions. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5