Quick hits: Leafs’ outdoor practice, Czech-German WJC game postponed, Fowler becomes a human X-Mas tree
Dec 21, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
Here are some quick hits from the hockey world that weren’t quite beefy enough for full posts.
- It seems like the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals (and Michigan-Michigan State “Big Chill” teams) aren’t the only hockey clubs that are getting into the spirit of outdoor hockey over the holidays. The Toronto Maple Leafs will reportedly hold an outdoor practice tomorrow (Wednesday, December 22nd) beginning at 10:45 a.m.
Here’s some info about the event from the team’s press release.
The Toronto Maple Leafs, RONA and Toronto Parks, Forestry & Recreation will unveil upgrades and refurbishments made to Trinity Bellwoods Outdoor Rink as part of the MLSE Team Up Foundation Rink Refurbishment Program. In recognition of the program, the Leafs will hold their annual outdoor practice at the Trinity Bellwoods rink.
The practice will be followed by two Learn to Skate Clinics – the first for local kids and the second for new Canadians. The day will conclude with a community skate at 2:15.
- In a strange turn of events, Sunday’s World Junior Championships game between the Czech Republic and Germany has been postponed because Germany’s equipment is MIA. The game has been pushed back to Thursday and apparently the Swedish and Norwegian teams are facing similar issues.
- While the Anaheim Ducks won’t top the San Jose Sharks’ holiday celebration, they also provided a little good-natured Yuletide humor. Check out this video of the team treating rookie defenseman Cam Fowler like a human Christmas tree, surely one of the many moments of rookie hazing the young player must deal with as a member of team full of numerous rascals and rapscallions. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)