Quick hits: Leafs’ outdoor practice, Czech-German WJC game postponed, Fowler becomes a human X-Mas tree
Dec 21, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
Here are some quick hits from the hockey world that weren’t quite beefy enough for full posts.
- It seems like the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals (and Michigan-Michigan State “Big Chill” teams) aren’t the only hockey clubs that are getting into the spirit of outdoor hockey over the holidays. The Toronto Maple Leafs will reportedly hold an outdoor practice tomorrow (Wednesday, December 22nd) beginning at 10:45 a.m.
Here’s some info about the event from the team’s press release.
The Toronto Maple Leafs, RONA and Toronto Parks, Forestry & Recreation will unveil upgrades and refurbishments made to Trinity Bellwoods Outdoor Rink as part of the MLSE Team Up Foundation Rink Refurbishment Program. In recognition of the program, the Leafs will hold their annual outdoor practice at the Trinity Bellwoods rink.
The practice will be followed by two Learn to Skate Clinics – the first for local kids and the second for new Canadians. The day will conclude with a community skate at 2:15.
- In a strange turn of events, Sunday’s World Junior Championships game between the Czech Republic and Germany has been postponed because Germany’s equipment is MIA. The game has been pushed back to Thursday and apparently the Swedish and Norwegian teams are facing similar issues.
- While the Anaheim Ducks won’t top the San Jose Sharks’ holiday celebration, they also provided a little good-natured Yuletide humor. Check out this video of the team treating rookie defenseman Cam Fowler like a human Christmas tree, surely one of the many moments of rookie hazing the young player must deal with as a member of team full of numerous rascals and rapscallions. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 5
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 7
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 47
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)