Quick hits: Leafs’ outdoor practice, Czech-German WJC game postponed, Fowler becomes a human X-Mas tree
Dec 21, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
Here are some quick hits from the hockey world that weren’t quite beefy enough for full posts.
- It seems like the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals (and Michigan-Michigan State “Big Chill” teams) aren’t the only hockey clubs that are getting into the spirit of outdoor hockey over the holidays. The Toronto Maple Leafs will reportedly hold an outdoor practice tomorrow (Wednesday, December 22nd) beginning at 10:45 a.m.
Here’s some info about the event from the team’s press release.
The Toronto Maple Leafs, RONA and Toronto Parks, Forestry & Recreation will unveil upgrades and refurbishments made to Trinity Bellwoods Outdoor Rink as part of the MLSE Team Up Foundation Rink Refurbishment Program. In recognition of the program, the Leafs will hold their annual outdoor practice at the Trinity Bellwoods rink.
The practice will be followed by two Learn to Skate Clinics – the first for local kids and the second for new Canadians. The day will conclude with a community skate at 2:15.
- In a strange turn of events, Sunday’s World Junior Championships game between the Czech Republic and Germany has been postponed because Germany’s equipment is MIA. The game has been pushed back to Thursday and apparently the Swedish and Norwegian teams are facing similar issues.
- While the Anaheim Ducks won’t top the San Jose Sharks’ holiday celebration, they also provided a little good-natured Yuletide humor. Check out this video of the team treating rookie defenseman Cam Fowler like a human Christmas tree, surely one of the many moments of rookie hazing the young player must deal with as a member of team full of numerous rascals and rapscallions. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 2
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 27
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 25
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)