Dec 21, 2010, 9:07 PM EDT
For the first time since he played in a May 1st playoff game for the Boston Bruins, Marco Sturm looks like he’ll skate in an NHL game tonight. Rich Hammond reports that the speedy German winger will make his Los Angeles Kings debut tonight against the Colorado Avalanche in a “fourth line role.”
Who knows how far along the oft-injured forward really is on his road to recovery from a nagging knee injury, but Hammond writes that Kings coach Terry Murray is “itching” to get him into the lineup. Murray reportedly wants to eventually play Sturm on the first line with Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown.
The general mood is that tonight’s assignment is meant to allow Sturm to get his legs under him in a game situation. On some level, you wonder if the Kings are rushing him back. Yet from the other point of view, if Sturm truly wants to continue his NHL career, he needs to get back to playing again.
Here is what Murray said about Sturm’s return.
MURRAY: “I just want to get him started. Get him onto a line where he’s going to play against, hopefully, their third or fourth line, and not put a lot of big responsibility on his shoulders in that first game. Get his feet under himself, get skating, get the feel of the game again and just start to get, physically and mentally, back into it.”
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)