Dec 21, 2010, 9:07 PM EDT
For the first time since he played in a May 1st playoff game for the Boston Bruins, Marco Sturm looks like he’ll skate in an NHL game tonight. Rich Hammond reports that the speedy German winger will make his Los Angeles Kings debut tonight against the Colorado Avalanche in a “fourth line role.”
Who knows how far along the oft-injured forward really is on his road to recovery from a nagging knee injury, but Hammond writes that Kings coach Terry Murray is “itching” to get him into the lineup. Murray reportedly wants to eventually play Sturm on the first line with Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown.
The general mood is that tonight’s assignment is meant to allow Sturm to get his legs under him in a game situation. On some level, you wonder if the Kings are rushing him back. Yet from the other point of view, if Sturm truly wants to continue his NHL career, he needs to get back to playing again.
Here is what Murray said about Sturm’s return.
MURRAY: “I just want to get him started. Get him onto a line where he’s going to play against, hopefully, their third or fourth line, and not put a lot of big responsibility on his shoulders in that first game. Get his feet under himself, get skating, get the feel of the game again and just start to get, physically and mentally, back into it.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)