Dec 21, 2010, 9:07 PM EDT
For the first time since he played in a May 1st playoff game for the Boston Bruins, Marco Sturm looks like he’ll skate in an NHL game tonight. Rich Hammond reports that the speedy German winger will make his Los Angeles Kings debut tonight against the Colorado Avalanche in a “fourth line role.”
Who knows how far along the oft-injured forward really is on his road to recovery from a nagging knee injury, but Hammond writes that Kings coach Terry Murray is “itching” to get him into the lineup. Murray reportedly wants to eventually play Sturm on the first line with Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown.
The general mood is that tonight’s assignment is meant to allow Sturm to get his legs under him in a game situation. On some level, you wonder if the Kings are rushing him back. Yet from the other point of view, if Sturm truly wants to continue his NHL career, he needs to get back to playing again.
Here is what Murray said about Sturm’s return.
MURRAY: “I just want to get him started. Get him onto a line where he’s going to play against, hopefully, their third or fourth line, and not put a lot of big responsibility on his shoulders in that first game. Get his feet under himself, get skating, get the feel of the game again and just start to get, physically and mentally, back into it.”
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)