Dec 21, 2010, 6:57 PM EDT
During the first episode of HBO’s coverage of the buildup toward the 2011 Winter Classic, Bruce Boudreau provided a profanity-soaked rant that made many wonder if he kissed his mother with that mouth. Actually, his mom was much more likely to scold him than give him a smooch after the tirade.
While momma Boudreau was displeased by the f-bomb festival, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman might go as far as to relish the attention-grabbing gabbing from Gabby.
We are talking about hockey here, after all. The standard mental image many people conjure when discussing a puckhead is a rugged Canadian farmhand who lacks more than a couple teeth. It’s hard to imagine such a customer substituting adult language with an “Oh, gosh” or “Golly, guys, get it together” right? Bettman seems to understand that.
But Bettman called it a natural part of “the ultimate reality show.”
“You’re watching a team and in particular a coach going through a very difficult time,” Bettman said at a media breakfast Tuesday to promote the Winter Classic between the two teams. “No one in this room is prudish enough to think that locker room language isn’t coarse.”
The commissioner added, “Both teams have handled themselves beautifully.”
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 21
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)