Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
With Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood narrowing in on the 400th win of his 17-year NHL career – the Dallas Stars narrowly foiled his first bid in overtime on Sunday night – my bet is that the debate regarding his Hall of Fame worthiness will probably rage once again.
(I’m leaning toward “No” at this point, mainly because he struggled so often to merely earn the No. 1 job throughout his career. How can you be a Hall of Fame goalie if you rarely secure a top goalie job? Yet, his resilient work with the undermanned St. Louis Blues and impressive list of accomplishments with the Red Wings gives both sides of the argument a good case.)
Regardless of which side you weigh in on the Osgood Hall of Fame debate, only the most rabid anti-Osgood person (perhaps a Colorado Avalanche or Pittsburgh Penguins fan?) would deny his occasional moments of brilliance. It might be true that there seems to be a difference between “playoff Osgood” and “regular season Osgood” at this point in his career, but the veteran netminder showed a glimpse of his brilliance on Sunday.
He didn’t get “W” 400, but he played well. Here’s his best save from Sunday, which was also the best of the night.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)