Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
With Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood narrowing in on the 400th win of his 17-year NHL career – the Dallas Stars narrowly foiled his first bid in overtime on Sunday night – my bet is that the debate regarding his Hall of Fame worthiness will probably rage once again.
(I’m leaning toward “No” at this point, mainly because he struggled so often to merely earn the No. 1 job throughout his career. How can you be a Hall of Fame goalie if you rarely secure a top goalie job? Yet, his resilient work with the undermanned St. Louis Blues and impressive list of accomplishments with the Red Wings gives both sides of the argument a good case.)
Regardless of which side you weigh in on the Osgood Hall of Fame debate, only the most rabid anti-Osgood person (perhaps a Colorado Avalanche or Pittsburgh Penguins fan?) would deny his occasional moments of brilliance. It might be true that there seems to be a difference between “playoff Osgood” and “regular season Osgood” at this point in his career, but the veteran netminder showed a glimpse of his brilliance on Sunday.
He didn’t get “W” 400, but he played well. Here’s his best save from Sunday, which was also the best of the night.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)