Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
With Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood narrowing in on the 400th win of his 17-year NHL career – the Dallas Stars narrowly foiled his first bid in overtime on Sunday night – my bet is that the debate regarding his Hall of Fame worthiness will probably rage once again.
(I’m leaning toward “No” at this point, mainly because he struggled so often to merely earn the No. 1 job throughout his career. How can you be a Hall of Fame goalie if you rarely secure a top goalie job? Yet, his resilient work with the undermanned St. Louis Blues and impressive list of accomplishments with the Red Wings gives both sides of the argument a good case.)
Regardless of which side you weigh in on the Osgood Hall of Fame debate, only the most rabid anti-Osgood person (perhaps a Colorado Avalanche or Pittsburgh Penguins fan?) would deny his occasional moments of brilliance. It might be true that there seems to be a difference between “playoff Osgood” and “regular season Osgood” at this point in his career, but the veteran netminder showed a glimpse of his brilliance on Sunday.
He didn’t get “W” 400, but he played well. Here’s his best save from Sunday, which was also the best of the night.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 60
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)