Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
With Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood narrowing in on the 400th win of his 17-year NHL career – the Dallas Stars narrowly foiled his first bid in overtime on Sunday night – my bet is that the debate regarding his Hall of Fame worthiness will probably rage once again.
(I’m leaning toward “No” at this point, mainly because he struggled so often to merely earn the No. 1 job throughout his career. How can you be a Hall of Fame goalie if you rarely secure a top goalie job? Yet, his resilient work with the undermanned St. Louis Blues and impressive list of accomplishments with the Red Wings gives both sides of the argument a good case.)
Regardless of which side you weigh in on the Osgood Hall of Fame debate, only the most rabid anti-Osgood person (perhaps a Colorado Avalanche or Pittsburgh Penguins fan?) would deny his occasional moments of brilliance. It might be true that there seems to be a difference between “playoff Osgood” and “regular season Osgood” at this point in his career, but the veteran netminder showed a glimpse of his brilliance on Sunday.
He didn’t get “W” 400, but he played well. Here’s his best save from Sunday, which was also the best of the night.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)