Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
With Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood narrowing in on the 400th win of his 17-year NHL career – the Dallas Stars narrowly foiled his first bid in overtime on Sunday night – my bet is that the debate regarding his Hall of Fame worthiness will probably rage once again.
(I’m leaning toward “No” at this point, mainly because he struggled so often to merely earn the No. 1 job throughout his career. How can you be a Hall of Fame goalie if you rarely secure a top goalie job? Yet, his resilient work with the undermanned St. Louis Blues and impressive list of accomplishments with the Red Wings gives both sides of the argument a good case.)
Regardless of which side you weigh in on the Osgood Hall of Fame debate, only the most rabid anti-Osgood person (perhaps a Colorado Avalanche or Pittsburgh Penguins fan?) would deny his occasional moments of brilliance. It might be true that there seems to be a difference between “playoff Osgood” and “regular season Osgood” at this point in his career, but the veteran netminder showed a glimpse of his brilliance on Sunday.
He didn’t get “W” 400, but he played well. Here’s his best save from Sunday, which was also the best of the night.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)