Dec 20, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
On Sunday night, the Washington Capitals rejoiced as they finally broke their troubling eight game slump. It was as if King Kong had been lifted from their backs (and it’s pretty tough to skate with a building-sized monkey on your back).
Yet one night later, they find themselves in the same standings scenario as they did on their slumping Saturday.
That’s because both the Thrashers and Lightning won their games tonight. Those wins position Atlanta at No. 1 in the Southeast, Tampa Bay in second place and Washington in third. Looking at it from an Eastern Conference standpoint, Atlanta would take the second seed, Tampa Bay the fifth and Washington the sixth if the playoffs were to start right now.
Let’s take a look at how the Thrashers and Lightning won their games.
Dustin Byfuglien might be a scoring machine for a blueliner, but Tobias Enstrom isn’t exactly chopped liver. Enstrom scored two goals and two assists, Fredrik Modin scored two goals and both Dustin Byfuglien and Bryan Little earned two helpers each as the Thrashers crunched the Leafs.
The worst part might be that Toronto out-shot Atlanta 40-23 and converted three out of their four power play opportunities and still managed to get blown out at home.
Martin St. Louis scored what would ultimately be the game-winner with one second left in the first period, but the Lightning decided to tack on three insurance goals in the second period for good measure.
They also limited the shots on goal for beleaguered goalie Dan Ellis (21 out of 22 saves), who played tonight because Mike Smith went down with a “minor” knee injury.
Maybe the Lightning don’t need Evgeni Nabokov after all?
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 1
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights