Dec 19, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
The Minnesota Wild only managed a paltry 16 shots on Miikka Kiprusoff, yet they beat the Calgary Flames 3-1. Ultimately, Minnesota’s Finns dominated Calgary’s Finns, and it started in net.
While Kipper allowed three goals on only 16 shots, Niklas Backstrom stopped an impressive 28 out of 29.
It was a fairly even game from a level of play standpoint leading into the third period, with the Wild holding a 2-0 lead thanks to two second period goals after being out-shot 12-14. Backstrom made his biggest impact in the third, though, as the two teams tied 1-1 despite the fact that the Flames out-shot the Wild 15-4.
Antti Miettinen scored a goal, Chuck Kobasew had one tally but Miiko Koivu was the biggest star of the game, as he had a goal and two assists in the game for Minnesota. Matt Stajan scored Calgary’s only goal.
Both the Wild and Flames are the outside looking in among the Western Conference playoff contenders, but Minnesota is in much better shape. Minnesota has 14 wins and 32 points in 31 games while Calgary waddles behind, with 14 wins and 31 points in 33 games.
Again, there just isn’t any margin of error in the wacky West.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)